1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC freezes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ump, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ump

Ump Thread Starter

I have a PC with a 1.1 G processor running Win98SE with 256M of RAM. On an irregular basis (sometimes, several days go by without any problems) the computer freezes, usually while I am running a program, but fairly often during the boot-up. In one memorable episode, I had to press the reboot button ten times before the startup sequence began. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Could be a drive beginning to fail (IMO most likely). Could be a heat issue (I doubt it).
    Could be a Power Supply problem (replace if it's not heat or a drive failing).
    Lastly, could be a problem with the motherboard..

3. Brian666

Brian666

I've been trying to restore an older no-name clone to working condition. After experiencing more grief than anybody wants to hear about, I finally got it to the point of accepting Win 98SE on the single, 30G hard drive (the max the processor will support according to Maxtor).

During the installation, the keyboard and mouse froze several times and I had to re-boot. After getting it running, I'm still experiencing freeze-ups - sometimes if I just move the mouse a little bit, sometimes if I've let it sit for a time, long or short, it doesn't seem to matter, it happens randomly.

I've swapped out the memory and that doesn't seem to be the problem. I believe the hard drive is OK, but it did take a very long time to format.

Is it time to send this system to the recycle center? I've invested far too much time in it. I have other Win 98 machines and this one won't be missed. The case is good and all the add-ins are good so there's a lot to be salvaged.

I do need to keep a working Win 98 machine for the foreseeable future.

All advice is appreciated.

4. Feever42

Feever42

I had a problem similar to this in that I put my old Compaq back together and it would freeze early in setup.After working on it for acouple of weeks I decided to pop the processer out and reinstall it.I hadn,t done this earlier as I hadn,t messed with the component when the machine was canibalized for parts.however after reinstalling the processer the machine has been working for about 2 weeks now.

5. Brian666

Brian666

I took your advice, removed the processor, blew out the holes and pins and reinserted it. It has been running 5 hours so far without a freeze up. I'll let it run some more before pronouncing it "cured." I hope that is the problem.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269389

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice