1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC freezes.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Foxy_Uk, Oct 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Foxy_Uk

Foxy_Uk Thread Starter

For some reason my PC has decided to start locking up.
    The mouse pointer is rooted to the spot and Ctrl+Alt+Del doesn't work either. I have to power the whole lot down, reboot and select START WINDOWS NORMALLY.

I can play an online game ok for most of the time before it locks up but sometimes it will lock up while just internet browsing.
    My missus was surfing the net with no trouble and left the PC running when she went to bed. When I got home from work I saw that the PC had done it again even when no-one was using it!

Any ideas?

BTW, this is happening on both 32 & 64bit Vista operating systems that I run on the same hard drive with two partitions.

Thanks for any replies in advance.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If it happens with both os, then I would be pretty sure it is a hardware problem.

To start, check your temps. You can do this in the bios or you can use some monitoring software like speedfan.

Next test your ram with something like memtest. Post back with your memtest results and temps.

Next it would help if you posted your exact system specs; ie make and model of motherboard, cpu, brand and type of ram, etc, etc. If a big box system ie dell, etc; then post make and model.

3. Foxy_Uk

Foxy_Uk Thread Starter

Thanks for your swift reply.
    I have carried out these tests but don't fully understand the Memtest software, sorry.
    I hope these screenshots are of some use...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Memtest interface...

[​IMG]

I have always thought that my 4 x 1gb sticks of RAM are not working as they should due to the low Vista Performance Score.... 4.7

So would you suggest that I have faulty RAM and if so, could this be whats causing my problem?

Thanks once again for your replies.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, any error in memtest is bad however you need to post your exact specs.

5. Foxy_Uk

Foxy_Uk Thread Starter

Hope this helps a little more...

INTEL CORE 2 DUO CPU. E6700. 2.66GHZ. S775. 1066FSB. 4MB CACHE.

Thermaltake 700w PSU

4 x 1gb sticks of Corsair DDR2 800mhz of RAM

XFX Ge-Force 8800GTS 640mb DDR3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For some reason the RAM is only running in single channel which I don't think is right?

6. Foxy_Uk

Foxy_Uk Thread Starter

I have just checked each memory slot and found this strange...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...or is that normal?

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That I do not know however there are a few things to do;
    1 That memory needs 1.9~2.0V vdimm [ram voltage] your board should default to 1.8V. Set the correct voltage in the bios
    2 Many boards have problems with all four ram slots filled. Check the board maker's site for any bios updates that address ram problems.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Once you set the correct voltage, run memtest again and see if you have any errors.

9. Foxy_Uk

Foxy_Uk Thread Starter

Ok thanks for your help. I will not be able to reply for a while as I have to go to work.

Many thanks.

10. Foxy_Uk

Foxy_Uk Thread Starter

Right, I have singled out one stick of RAM to be the trouble causer. Each time I pair it with another, I get an error message on the Memtest software.
    So it looks like I will be back to running on 2gb until I buy another matched pair.

I don't suppose its a good idea to insert the 'spare' 1gb stick to make it upto 3gb is it, or better will it be better to leave the two 1gb sticks as a pair?
    I get the same Vista Performance Score (4.7) with either 2gb or 4gb fitted.

Thanks once again for your help.

Foxy.

11. Foxy_Uk

Foxy_Uk Thread Starter

Damn, I'm still getting this problem with my PC locking up even when now down to just 2 x 1gb sticks of RAM inserted.
    The mouse pointer becomes static and and nothing works, it will lock up even when I'm not actually near the PC aswell.
    There is nothing I can do apart from holding the power button in for a few seconds to turn it off.
    What can be causing this, any ideas?

12. phoenixxx86

phoenixxx86

You could try going through the standard procedures ie spyware/virus scanning, defragmenting etc but I doubt those are the culprits. You can still try them however.

If it is happening even when the faulty RAM is removed then it could be your hard drive - perhaps you can try reformatting one of the partitions? I have had the exact problem in the past and in my case it was the HDD. I would play a game / surf the net and the whole system would freeze and the audio would be looping.

13. Foxy_Uk

Foxy_Uk Thread Starter

I have ran Ad-aware, Spybot and AVG anti-virus. Mostly all clear, the hard drive is going to be re-formatted soon so I will only be running one O/S now that I know Vista 64bit is cool.

The PC has been fine now for 8 hours so fingers crossed.

Thanks for your help.

14. MaD_KiLLeR

MaD_KiLLeR

did u try updating your drivers?, because my computer used to freeze every time the internet turned off(diff story, but might help), and i updated my drivers and fixed the problem :)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759654

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice