1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC freezing even after Windows 10 reinstall - please help!

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by wtang00, Aug 12, 2017 at 10:26 AM.

Advertisement
  1. wtang00

wtang00 Thread Starter

ASUS Z170 MAXIMUS VIII RANGER
    i7 6700k (factory clock)
    GTX 1070
    SanDisk SDSSDA240G 240gb hard drive (OS)
    Seagate ST2000DM001 2TB SATA III hard drive
    Western Digital WD5000BEVT 500GB SATA 2.5
    G.Skill 16gb DDR4 2400 RAM
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
    Corsair CX 600
    Windows 10 Pro Version 1703 OS Build 15063.540

I really need help guys.. my PC is freezing all the time and its stopping me from finding work. I'm hoping one of you guys has a bright idea of what to try.

The story is.. I get back to my flat after a week away, so I can work on my portfolio. I use AutoCAD and InDesign. Whilst working, my machine started freezing/BSOD occasionally (i.e. once or twice a day). The problem got worse over the next few days, freezing usually whilst multitasking/under load.

I was having to restart so many times a day I decided to reinstall Windows. Even after a clean install, deleting my old files, I've found the problem has in fact got worse. The machine is frequently struggling to manage to load to Windows now. I have already disabled everything I can under Task Manager > Startup. Sometimes it freezes at the Welcome screen, a few seconds after the desktop loading, sometimes after a few minutes. It always coincides with noise from the PC case which simultaneously coincides with the mouse cursor slowing down to a flickering stutter before freezing to a crash. Occasionally it'll struggle past this then the PC will run fine for a good while, as it has been doing so as I type. But if I were to start a process that is resource intensive (i.e. launching a game in CEMU emulator) than its now guaranteed to crash.

The noise from the PC case sounds like hard drive access? Although my OS is installed on a SSD and no additional programs should be loading at startup. Worryingly, it sometimes even freezes at the Republic of Gamers mobo welcome splash at the very start. I don't think it is hardware though as my components are barely 8 months old and the diagnostics I've run surely would've indicated this by now?

I've tried the following:

HW Monitor - GPU + CPU temps all normal
    Windows Memory Diagnostic tool - RAM Ok
    Windows Disk Check - No problems found
    SFC /SCANNOW - All Ok
    Reinstalling Windows - clean, removing all files

The pattern currently is..

1. Boot pc from power on button.
    2. Freeze at Windows welcome screen/desktop at startup
    3. Cold boot using power button (held in for 10 seconds to repower)
    4. Repeat 2-3 until..
    5. PC manages to struggle past the initial stuttering at outset and will run fine until placed under load

I really need to sort this out so I can finish my portfolio and get a job and pay my rent!

Will

2. Sponsor

3. HyperHenry

HyperHenry Henry

Please download and run Speccy. http://download.piriform.com/spsetup131.exe. This is a diagnostic tool that shows us your specs, hardware health, temps and more. After you run the report click file, publish snapshot, the copy to clipboard, then paste the URL here.

4. wtang00

wtang00 Thread Starter

5. HyperHenry

HyperHenry Henry

Your temps and hardware looked ok. I did notice that on your Seagate Expansion Desk SCSI Disk Device, and ST2000DM001-1ER164 there is very little free space. You should leave 10% free on each partition. On the four partitions on these 2 drives there was 8%, 10% 1% and 1%. This may account for at least part of your slowdown issues. I would add more storage and move some files around to make more free space.

6. replay

replay

see u have only one 16gb ram chip
    i know u have tried the ms ram checker
    can u buy/borrow a stick of ram....ram is notorious for freezing issues
    also see that u have some HDD in the computer.....try disconnecting all the spinning drives and just leave the ssd attached to the mobo

7. jenae

jenae

Hi, may have misread this, I thought I saw two 8gb slots? Low disk space memory is likely to cause you problems though the disks are large so % do not mean critically low disk space, just yet. Speccy does not give us PSU info. One area above others that is poorly understood is the need for a good adequate power supply, and they do degrade over time, we sell gaming machines and the lowest spec PSU we fit is gold 1000w. A failing PSU will produce your problems and they can destroy hardware devices.

8. jenae

jenae

Hi, sorry forgot to tell you to go to search and type:-

Reliability Monitor, have a good look through this, errors are marked with a red x.

9. wtang00

wtang00 Thread Starter

Hey guys. Thanks for all your responses.

I've tried disconnecting all those drives, leaving only the OS SSD connected. No change..

It's actually 2 physical sticks installed, 2x 8gb modules

The PSU is a Corsair CX 600 which is only 8 months old. I think power wise it should be adequate? I'm no expert tho so someone please tell me if I'm wrong (!)

10. HyperHenry

HyperHenry Henry

Try removing one stick and see how it runs. If no improvement, replace it with the other. A 600 Watt PSU might be enough but if it's failing even a 1,000 Watt won't work well.

11. HyperHenry

HyperHenry Henry

Try removing one stick and see how it runs. If no improvement, replace it with the other. A 600 Watt PSU might be enough but if it's failing even a 1,000 Watt won't work well.

12. replay

replay

In the speccy teport your ram is running in single channel
    That's why I thought u had a single stick of ram

13. replay

replay

Thx 1070 minimum power requirements is 500w psu
    Also the cx line of corsair is NOT. Up to the job

14. wtang00

wtang00 Thread Starter

I've looked at http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-review,8.html and they've advised that a 400-500 psu is sufficient for a GTX 1070 - I'd add that I haven't had any issue for 8 months until recently. I'm almost certain it isn't PSU related.

15. wtang00

wtang00 Thread Starter

UPATE:

I haven't solved the problem.. but my system is much, much more stable after I've installed the latest drivers for my BIOS.

I took Jenae's advice and reviewed Reliability Monitor, and it highlighted an error with my Realtek audio driver just before a crash.

Its running fine now the majority of the time, although it will still freeze the same if I place it under heavier load... i.e. rendering a 3d model

What does this suggest the problem is? I'm coping atm but the problem hasn't been quite resolved.

16. replay

replay

That doesn't change the fact that the CX line of corsair is NOT recommended for a computer with a power hungry video card
    Do some research!!!

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1194580