1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC Freezing in Games

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gaken, Jun 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gaken

Gaken Thread Starter

Well I'm playing Age of Pirates 2 I'm 20 mins in the game and BAM my pc freezed(anyone that owns age of pirates 2 knows there is a load of bugs) so I really payed no mind to it freezing.
    I start hitting Alt+Ctrl+Del does not work I hit Caps,Scroll,Num Locks no lights come on.
    So I do a hard restart hoping that the Freeze was a One time deal.
    Than I Start playing Call of Duty 4 15 mins in same Freeze.
    hard restart again, I do a Bios Ram check all good and check the Gfx card Temp 69-70C bit high for it.
    It was running 45-50c a month before so I get 2 PCI Fans to help cool it. the next day I take the Gfx Card out and run it on the mobo North Bridge NVIDIA GeForce 8200 try a game out and No Freezing.
    I get the fans put them in with the Gfx card they take down the temp on my cpu by 3C and none on my Gfx.
    so I go to xfx tech Support and get the run around... Driver Sweeper... Make sure you have the new drivers..... freezing like this points me towards the memory or the power supply......​

what is making my pc freeze? ​

spec:

Cpu:AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400 black edition Processor Model ADO5400DSWOF​

HDD:HITACHI Deskstar P7K500 HDP725050GLA360 (0A35415) 500GB ​

MoBo:BIOSTAR TForce TF8200 A2+​

Ram:OCZ SLI-Ready Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB)DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Model OCZ2N800SR4GK​

Gfx card:XFX PVT98GYDLU GeForce 9800 GT 512MB​

PSU:Utlra LSP 750 PRO Lifetime Series 750 watt​

2. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Have you tried using different ram or a different power supply.

3. Gaken

Gaken Thread Starter

I got no old power supply(that has the power for the card) and no DDR2 ram to test

4. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    It could be a temperature related problem on the GPU.

I would suggest downloading NTune from HERE

Once downloaded, install it and it will give you quite a few addtional options on your NVidia Control Panel.

Open up the different options until you fine the option that showns an EULA (End User License Agreement), I can't remember exactly which one it is. The agreement is there because the specific area allows overclocking to the GPU etc, however, we aren't going to overclock it.

Go into that area and fine the fan speed settings, it should be toward the bottom of the page. It will probably be set to 'automatic', change the tick box to set it to manual and the user the slider bar to set the fan speed to 100%. This will increase noise in your system but it mainly for testing at this stage.

When you have set the fan speed to 100% accept the changes and play you game. See if it makes any difference and if it still crashes.

If the crashes stop they the problem is heat related and you have a few options. You can keep running NTune to adjust the fan speeds when you want to play (change it back to automatic when not gaming in order to prelong the fans life, running it at 100% will reduce its life). Or you could but an after market GPU cooler and fit that too it.

This may, or may not, solve your problem, however I am a firm believer in trying almost anything when it doesn't costs anything :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/836277

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice