PC freezing "randomly"

SauerThe2nd

Hello everyone

About 4 years ago i bought all the parts to my PC and a friend helped me build it. From day 1 it has been freezing randomly after which i have to hold the power button to shut it off. While living with this for several years might seem wierd it didn't take long before i realized that as long as i had a game(ARK, 7DtD, Rust, LoL) open it wouldn't freeze. However i don't always have a game open so i thought i would finally try to get it fixed for good.

Over the years it has frozen at least a couple hundred times which has allowed me to notice a couple tendencies:
- It almost always takes at least a couple hours after turning the computer on before the first freeze.
- If it freezes again on the same day it happens much earlier.
- 3 of all the times it has frozen i did have a game open (ARK(main menu), Shellshock Live and OSRS).
- The freezing has become much less common. In the start it would freeze 3 times almost every day. Now it might not freeze for weeks or even months, but then suddenly freeze several times one day and then be more common for some time.

Here's the info from TSG SysInfo:
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18362, Installed 20190809035956.000000+120
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 94 Stepping 3, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (326 GB Free);
Motherboard: MSI B150 GAMING M3 (MS-7978), ver 2.0, s/n G216133005
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n Default string
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Additionally:
The RAM is 2x8GB HyperX Fury DDR4
The Graphics Card is an MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X 8G
The Hard Drive is a Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003
The PSU is a Corsair VS550 550W PSU

Some things i have tried:
- In the beginning i used the hard drive from my old PC. I switched it to a new one with no results. At the moment they are both connected but only one is in use.
- I have tried waiting for several hours after it froze to see if it would come back on its own. It didn't.
- After turning the PC back i have checked Windows Logs and it shows a critical error saying: "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." which i assume is because i shut it off via the power button.
- I have also checked the temperatures more than once after a freeze and each time they have been around the same as it is while im writing this.
I'm sure i've tried more over the years that i don't remember.

I suspect it's some kind of hardware fault but, i'm by no means an expert on computers so any help or tips on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

You could have memory that is not 100% compatible with your motherboard. Is that memory on the MSI B150 GAMING M3 QVL list? Oh also shutting it down with the power button can cause file corruption!

SauerThe2nd

Sorry for the late reply. After a couple days i stopped expecting any replies.

A puny 550W would not be able to power a gaming PC.
I assume computers require more power when games are running and mine only freezes when there are no games running. Please correct me if im wrong, but i don't see how that can be the reason.

You could have memory that is not 100% compatible with your motherboard. Is that memory on the MSI B150 GAMING M3 QVL list? Oh also shutting it down with the power button can cause file corruption!
In the user guide for the Z170A/H170/B150 Gaming M3 motherboard under "Specifications" it says: "Supports DDR4 3600(OC)/ 3200(OC)/ 3000(OC)/ 2800(OC)/ 2600(OC)/ 2400(OC)/ 2133 MHz*
* Only Z170A Gaming M3 supports overclocking (OC) frequency."
I'm fairly certain mine is 2133 MHz.

crjdriver

One thing just jumps out at me;
The PSU is a Corsair VS550 550W PSU
Attempting to run a gaming type card with that pw supply is just asking for a problem. Corsair makes some fine pw supplies AND makes some entry level ones as well. The VS series is the very lowest level corsair sells [corsair does not mfg their own pw supplies; the high end ones ie AX, HX, RM models are mfg by either seasonic or superflower. Both very high end mfg. The lower end ones are mfg by CTW; maker of OEM stuff ie dell, hp, etc] You are in effect trying to run a gaming card with a dell pw supply.

Have you monitored your temps and voltages? If not, do so. I try to never use msi boards however I believe there is monitoring software available on the support page. This is usually called command center OR dragon center. Download this and install. Once you are done with that, post the following data; cpu temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. Do this twice. Once under a normal load and again while running a stress test. Use any of the following for the stress test; prime95, OCCT, or Realbench [all free downloads] Let the stress test run for at least 2min to stabilize temps and voltages. Post screenshots of your monitoring software.

Next I notice from the support page for your board that there are a LOT of bios updates that address memory issues/compatibility. Are you running the latest bios?

SauerThe2nd

Have you monitored your temps and voltages? If not, do so. I try to never use msi boards however I believe there is monitoring software available on the support page. This is usually called command center OR dragon center. Download this and install. Once you are done with that, post the following data; cpu temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. Do this twice. Once under a normal load and again while running a stress test. Use any of the following for the stress test; prime95, OCCT, or Realbench [all free downloads] Let the stress test run for at least 2min to stabilize temps and voltages. Post screenshots of your monitoring software.

Next I notice from the support page for your board that there are a LOT of bios updates that address memory issues/compatibility. Are you running the latest bios?
I wasn't running the latest BIOS. The old version was from 2015 and the newest is from 2018 which i updated to.
Afterwards i installed Command Center and prime95.
With nothing running i got this:

With prime95 running (for 3 minutes) i got this:

crjdriver

Your 12V rail is dropping under a load which may cause your problem. I notice one other item; hyperX ram usually needs 1.35V to work correctly and you are showing the default of 1.2V. I would first set ram voltage to whatever it says on the ram itself [should be a label OR check the mfg support page]
If that does not fix your problem, then I would look at swapping in a quality pw supply for testing.

SauerThe2nd

I just checked the RAM and it does say 1.2V on the label. I suppose if i buy a new PSU i can still use it when i decide to upgrade the rest of my computer so i guess that will be my next step.

Just because the user guide says "Supports DDR4 3600(OC)/ 3200(OC)/ 3000(OC)/ 2800(OC)/ 2600(OC)/ 2400(OC)/ 2133 MHz" does not mean all DDR4! The memory manufacturer has to say what modules work on your board or the board manufacturer QVL List! For some reason cant get to MSI support right now to check QVL.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online