Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

pc freezing up more frequently

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  mickyb 
#1 ·
hello all..i posted a thread yesterday concerning my pc freezing up and graphic distortion on 3d games.
well its froze 7 times today with in the space of 20 minutes (unabling me to control/alt/delete etc.....) and im just wondering if it could be a faulty motherboard or even harddrive which may be causing this instead of my graphics card (9800 non pro) which im about to send back to the store...
if any one has an idea about this it would be a great help..thanx :up:

#3 ·
ive checked all the temps and everything is ok....aint tried anything with the power supply yet though, im gonna try my videocard in another pc and if its ok i know it aint the card..so ill just try swaping components around till i get to the bottom of it, thanx

#4 ·
Since you didnt list any specs I would also check the power supply. There has been a lot of problems of this sort lately that have ended up being an inadequate or bad power supply. More than a few that were related to a supposedly 400w power supply that is "certified" but was a cheap (I used that word on purpose) unit. A quality powersupply from a known high quality manufacturer is a must in todays computer systems.

#5 ·
I had an HP doing that same thing. When I took it in for repairs, it turned out to be bad memory AND bad motherboard. I just replaced it with a custom built pc, using some of the good parts, to hold the cost down.......... :)

#7 ·
Oh yeah....this tester will NOT give you any specific details.
It will only tell you if it is working properly.
Green light = good

If there is a faulty capasitor or resistor that is giving irregular voltage, it may not detect it.
These PS dectectors do get very hot if you leave them on for a long time, but if you see the green dim.....change your PS.
I had to leave one on for about a minute and a half to see if it dimmed one time, and it was a bad PS.

#9 ·
my specs are...

win xp
pentium 2.8ghz........................1 month old
radeon 9800 (non pro)..............6 month old
110 harddrive...........................9 month old
asus P4P800 deluxe...................1 month old
512 ram...................................9 month old

i forgot to mention just before i had these problems install wizard was trying to install a RAID CONTROLLER?...my friend fixed that..think it was something to do with reading 2 hard drives at once? i may be wrong.
and just there before it froze again another friend was here and told me to go to control panel/administrative tools/event viewer/system...and every time the comp froze........in the log it said DCOM? caused the error which caused these ugly little problems to occur...can anyone let me know what DCOM is relating to? any help would be great thanx

#10 ·
Ur specs are well to run XP smothly, u did not mention how much harddisk space avilable. U have only one hd in ur system so u dont need to install RAID controller this may b one of the reason for freezing ur system, u better unstall it.Also make sure that RAM installed in ur B/Board are of what kind is it DDR or SDRAM if itis SDRAM check its breakup either it is 2x256. my observation is that whenever u have 2 different kind of RAM chip installed in ur system ur system may give ur trouble.....

Good Luck

#11 ·
well when i said i had a 110 HD i should have said i have a 80 HD and a 30 HD...sry my fault.... and they are both partitioned my main drive for windows etc is...6GB and have 2GB free, the other 22GB of that drive is for games etc...
my ram is both crucial, how do i check its breakup?
thanx

#13 ·
well i think the problem is now fixed.....strange thing fixed it though!!!
i tried my videocard in another pc with my memory (as the other pc had none)
and the games worked fine + no crashing, no problem what so ever.....so i then tried them back in my pc and everything was ok...by the looks of it, it may have been a loose connection with one of the ram sticks as i tried re-seating the video card the other day and still had the same problem...hope this helps to anyone out there with the same wierd problem as i have suffered over the last week :blink:
thanx all

never watch the watchmen, they are too busy watching someone else

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.