1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC Freezing up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by amphibian, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. amphibian

amphibian Thread Starter

Helping out a friend with his pc. Told me it was freezing up and alt+ctrl+del would not work. So I suspected the power supply (250w). I tested it and its giving out correct voltages.
    I then turned to the vid card. Its an NVIDIA Vanta, not sure about mem. I booted it up and it came on fine. I played around checking settings, etc. Walked away for 5 mins and when I came back it had frozen. Rebooted and now computer will not POST, no display on monitor. I turned the computer off for 15mins, checked the chipset on the vid card after only seonds after bootup and its blazing hot! I left the case open and directed a room fan directly inside and still will not POST. Is this vid card toasted or whats going on?

2. ndnomads

ndnomads

Does the PC ever boot to the desktop?

3. amphibian

amphibian Thread Starter

The monitor never turns on after i turn the computer on, so its not getting a signal from the vid card. I dont hear the computer POST either so the system isnt recognizing the card on boot.

4. ndnomads

ndnomads

What happens if you boot from a floppy disk?

5. amphibian

amphibian Thread Starter

nothing.....

6. PcGrafix

PcGrafix

I would pull out the vid card and boot up make sure you didn't fry out the mobo too.
    If you pull out the card and get beeps your ok, if you pull out the card and get nothing you owe your friend a new computer

7. amphibian

amphibian Thread Starter

The friend I am helping out took his pc to a repair shop and they told him he needed a new mobo. They installed it and everything and it kept freezing up, so now he is asking me for help.

8. amphibian

amphibian Thread Starter

OK, I tried out 3 different video cards and all of them got extremely hot which caused the compter to freeze, had to force it to reboot and then the monitor will no longer come on. The side of the case was off, and was in a rooom with lots of air conditioning. What the heck is going on here???

9. amphibian

amphibian Thread Starter

10. amphibian

amphibian Thread Starter

Anyone have suggestions?? I really need to get this fixed. Thank you.

11. griffinspc

griffinspc

Plus a new mobo! It seems that the one common denominator in this is the monitor.

Have you tried another?
    This is a little confusing, did this heat / freezing start after the new mobo or is that the reason he/she took it to a shop?

12. amphibian

amphibian Thread Starter

It started before the new mobo was installed, hence why he took it to the shop to get checked out.

I dont think it would be the monitor? As his monitor and mine did the same thing.

13. griffinspc

griffinspc

I didn't see where you had tried another monitor.

This trouble description is pretty vague. Did your friend take it in just for the freeze, etc., get a new mobo and then you noticed the heat or was the heat an original problem?

How about posting the "exact" chronology of events one time so we can get a better handle on what happened and when and what steps have been taken so far and the outcome.

14. amphibian

amphibian Thread Starter

Sorry, forgot to include that. I am at work right now so its hard for complete details.

Here we go!
    1. Friends computer was freezing up. CTRL+ALT+DEL would not do anything. Had to manually restart. On restart, monitor would not display anything.

2. He took it to a repair shop, they said he needed a new motherboard. They installed it. He took it home and the same thing kept happening, freezing up.

3. Friend brought it to me to take a look at it. I hooked it up and left it running for 15 mins, came back to check on it. It had frozen up. Restarted computer, monitor would not come on.

4. Next day: Turned on computer, everything working fine. I checked chipset on vid card and its really really hot only after a minute after bootup (not normal). Computer freezes up again, I turn off. I walk away from
    it for an hour or so. Come back, point fan to inside of case. Turn on Computer and walk away.

5. Come back and it has frozen up again!! Turn off for the night. Next day:
    Installed another vid card, checked chipset on startup....very very hot just like the one that has always been installed. Computer freezes up, I turn off.
    Install another low end vid card, same thing happens, gets hot and freezes up.

So, as you can see. No matter what vid card I use the same thing happens over and over. Someone said perhaps the power supply is too low of a wattage (250w) to run the pc. I wouldnt think so because system specs are not high at all:

256 SDRAM
    Processor (dont remember, probably low end AMD....maybe 1ghz)
    CD-Rom and a CD-R
    30G HD
    NIC
    MODEM
    VID Card (NVIDIA VANTA....not sure about memory, not on card)

Hope that helps out, thats about all I know since the pc wont stay on long enough for me to get more info.

15. amphibian

amphibian Thread Starter

Thanks for everyones help, I am fed up with this issue and telling my friend he has to buy a new mobo and vid card. Thanks again.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222320

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice