1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC Freezing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gram123, Dec 31, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gram123

Gram123 Thread Starter

Hi.
    I am having a little trouble with my PC. Basically, it is locking up forcing me to switch the power off and then restarting.
    (this isn't the same PC that had the trojan problems a while back).

The PC is a AMD Athlon 1Ghz, 384Mb RAM, Win 98.
    The problem occurs when I attempt to open certain web pages, particularly Yahoo.
    The PC will just freeze, although the fans continue to whirr away, the mouse and keyboard are entirely ineffective.
    The problem doesn't occur after any specific amount of time - sometimes immediately after logging on, sometimes after a couple of hours. It has not occurred unless I've been on the internet, and as I say, it appears to happen only on certain web pages - perhaps pages that have a lot of info? Not sure.

I have ran an AV check at HouseCall (clean), but I have a sneaking suspicion that it is not a viral problem, rather some loose bit of hardware or memory failure or somesuch.
    The cables all seem secure (and they're all pretty new), so unless it's a loose card or memory strip or something, I've ran out of ideas.

Any help?

Gram

2. stanggt2

stanggt2

when mine gets like that I defrag and if that does not work I have to reformat that fixes mine every time but maybe someone knows something better

3. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

You probably need to run a full maintenance program ... delete the trash & cache needs dumping ... also you might should run ad-aware for spyware.
    then again it may be to many items in your startup as well.

try all those & see what happens

4. Gram123

Gram123 Thread Starter

Savvy,

The PC is pretty new. Well, it's 6 months old, but in that time, I've robably only used it for 20-30 hours total.

THe reason I connected to the internet now (i.e. yesterday) is becaus the other PC I'm using cannot connect, due to the wonderful Windows XP upgrade my brother got for Xmas...

Anyway, I cleared out all temp files, temp internet files & history. Ad-Aware found nothing and there's only about 6 items in my msconfig list - Explorer, Sys Tray, ScanReg, my ISP software, mouse software and PTSnoop.

From a previous post:
    I also had a file called Reboot.exe in the Startup folder, which I've since disabled. I don't think I ever found out what this was, but the problem was occurring before and after I removed it. Maybe I should run it, just to see?

Gram

5. stanggt2

stanggt2

This might be another thought. Try switching modems with the other computer

6. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Two descriptions I've come across - both valid as far as I can see :-
    (1) Program installed with some modems that monitors the COM ports for the modem driver. Not needed from what I've read - may need a registry edit to get rid of it
    (2) Backdoor trojan virus that copies itself as PTSNOOP.EXE -see here for more info...
    http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/ptsnoop.shtml

7. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Im assuming you've done all your patches & critical updates???

8. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Gram what are you doing at the time this happens.. mostly? Is it while on IE... or at desktop?

9. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

If freezing occurs while on the internet -

Check for unwanted wsock32.dll 's
    Use Find to look for Wsock32.dll 's
    Type in Wsock
    Keep the Wsock32.dll &Wsock32n.dll in your Windows\System
    And rename others oldwsock32.dll
    If windows will not let you rename that wsock32dll
    Saying"Windows is using this file can't rename"
    This might be the problem and cause your Internet to freeze.
    Because Windows should just be using the wsock32.dll in your windows\system
    Bootup in safe-mode and rename that wsock.dll to oldwsock32.dll.

10. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

also have you added any new RAM chips?

I also have read several statements that its a problem in the mobo

11. Gram123

Gram123 Thread Starter

Savvy,

1) These were found:

dpnwsock.dll
    Dpwsock.dll
    Dpwsockx.dll
    Mswsock.dll
    Wsock.vxd
    Wsock2.vxd
    Wsock32.dll
    Wsock32n.dll

2) I've disabled PTSnoop in msconfig, but I'm not sure about how to remove it from the registry - i.e. where will it be?

3) Erm... what patches and critical updates exactly? Doh!

4) Yes, always on IE, using the ISP "gearbox" software when the freeze occurs.

5) Yes, I originally had 128Mb RAM. I added another 128Mb RAM immediately, later removed it and inserted a 256Mb strip (November). New total 384Mb. However, I didn't have internet connection up until yesterday.

Phew! Lotsa questions, lotsa answers...
    My first concern then, seems to be "Get the neccesary patches and updates", followed by "Remove PTSnoop from Registry".

Gram

Gram

12. Gram123

Gram123 Thread Starter

stanggt2 - unfortunately that's not an option. Both are internal modems, and there's no way my brother would let me have his.

Gram

13. stanggt2

stanggt2

I think she is talking about your windows 98 update The easiest way is to click on start button then go to windows update at the top but you need to be on the net it will test what you need and put all the stuff in one file to download But I guess this will only work if your computer does not freeze up

14. Gram123

Gram123 Thread Starter

Yeah, I guess so.
    I've just installed IE6, so that's a start.
    the thing is, I have WXP for this machine too, but I don't want to install it unitl I know I won't have the problems my brother's currently having.

Curiously enough, I haven't had the freeze since I started this thread...

Maybe just having my PC sat in a box for the best part of 6 months has just slowed the old fella down and he needs to warm up...
    Anyway, I'll crack on with the Windows update thing.
    Gram

15. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63625

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice