PC freezs while attempting to Boot

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

maximo

7Oh! man Oh man, I have Windows XP Home Ed. an I cant get past the loading screen it just freezes up on me. when I turn on PC, I get the choice of Safe Mode, Safe w/Networking, Safe w/ Command Prompt, Last Known Good Config, and Start Windows Normally. which ever I choose, they all end up freezing up on me. Now, I have a Boot Disk, which I made, and it seems to work, but i dont know what to put in the command to get in my system and uninstall the game FarCry and its patch 1.1, and quite possibly ATI's newest Catalyst driver, which I also got and installed recently. What do I need to do in order to get in my PC, and uninstall this stuff, using the Boot Disk, i simply do not know what to type in. I also noted the Boot Disk says on my screen when starting up: Windows (R) Windows Millenium (C) Copyright Microsoft Corp. 1981-1999; (when clearly I have XP Home), Followed by on th next line by itself>> A:\> and I dont know what to put there. Oh!!!, one other thing, when I try to boot using any of the safe modes, I get this all up and down my screen: multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\****.sys the stars mean that they vary like disk, atapi,pci, etc.,etc. Any and all help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!:) THANKS!!!!!!

Here's a couple of things you can try

1) Boot to the windows advanced startup meun (Tap F8 during boot) choose safemode with command prompt - should boot to a command prompt - type
"%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe" if you have system restore turned on in windows - you will be able to restore your computer back to a date when it was booting

2)If you have a windows XP operating cd - what u will need to do is boot off that cd - choose "R" for repair using the recovery console at the windows setup screen

You will get to a screen asking what windows installation you want to log onto, you just have to press 1 -> enter (Depends if you have more then one operating system installed), leave password blank -> enter, you will be a in a dos prompt where u can use several commands here http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314058

you can use the "disable" command to disable drivers that might be preventing you from booting.

You also have a repair folder in C:\windows\repair which has a backup of your registry files, you can copy the backed up registry - to replace any currupt registry files. Use the copy command.

Your 5 backed up Registry files that you want to copy are:
system
software
sam
security

Example "copy c:\windows\repair\system.bak c:\windows\system32\config"

3)You could always do an operating system repair from the cd - probably your last resort. just boot off XP operating cd - Press Enter at windows setup screen - tap F8 for license agreement - choose "R" for repair.

maximo

Whoa!, I did not think I was ever going to get into my PC again, man I'm glad I was wrong!:) THANKS!! tripudio, for helping me go to the next step; I could not go into any of the "Safe Modes", but was able to Boot from the XP disc,(though I had to get into CMOS to Boot from CD), and the installer disc was able to reload a bunch of stuff back into my PC. The link you posted was also very Helpful. The thing that still baffles me is how to properly use the Boot Disk (floppy), and get into my system with it; ahhh, just more stuff for me to learn, I will do so. A bit o' irony, is that I'm currently studying to get A+ certified, and this little stunt caught me off guard.:) I digress, I've said it before and I'll say it again, this community of people helping people is just freaking FANTASTIC!!! THANK you all for this site, forums, everything!!!:)

maximo said:
The thing that still baffles me is how to properly use the Boot Disk (floppy)
It's a lot simpler to open the BIOS menu and change the boot sequence so the CD drive is in the first position, next your C drive and lastly your A (floppy) drive. This way you don't need to mess with floppies and can always boot with your XP CD.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online