1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC Frustration

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jamesta999, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jamesta999

jamesta999 Thread Starter

My computer has been frustrating me for a while now. I've had so many problems with it when my friends have minimal issues.

1. Occasionally when I first boot up my system after a shutdown, I will do a few things and then everything will freeze. I hear the computer BEEP, then I have to manually press reboot. After that everything is fine.
    2. Slow responsiveness on the computer, slow load times
    3. Programs crash quite a bit.
    I would love to hear some tips and fixes on how to improve my system performance, load times and gaming performance as well of course for the fix for my #1 problem

Oh and my machine is mainly for gaming =D.

600w ToughPower PSU
    Thermaltake Soprano Case
    3 x SATA Drives
    NVIDIA 8300GS (Downgraded from 8800gt as a temp)
    E6600 Core 2 Duo

Intel GA-965P-DS4 Mobo

2. speed_hog

speed_hog

jamesta999, welcome to TSG
    What does event viewer say?
    Are there any minidump logs?

Event Viewer Tutorial

Please go to Start - Run - type in eventvwr.msc to open the event viewer
    Or;
    Right click on my computer and choose Manage.
    Computer Management window should open. “Maximize it”
    Left side click on the plus sign next to Event Viewer and it should expand.
    Click on Application first.
    Click on System second.
    and in the right side it may have;
    (yellow) = warnings
    (red) = errors
    Types of events.
    Double click on any one of them and a smaller window will open called Event Properties.
    Click on the right hand side 3rd button down that looks like to tiny pieces of paper with the corners folded over and that will copy the information to the clipboard;
    Then open NOTEPAD and hit Ctrl V (paste) and there is the information about the error!
    ***Save the file if needed and post on the forum.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    How to post a minidump log

I barrowed this great tutorial from;
    Rollin' Rog
    Moderator with 42,872 posts
    I can run a debugging utility on the dump files if you do this:

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like.
    2 > navigate to c:\windows\minidump and copy the last few minidump files to that folder. *this assumes 'c' is your boot drive, if it is not, substitute accordingly.
    3 > close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.
    4 > use the "manage attachments" in the "advanced" reply window to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

This might point us to a non Windows driver causing the error, if one exists for it.

Since almost all bugchecks can be caused by faulty ram, I would recommend you perform memory tests.

Beginners Guides: Diagnosing Bad Memory

Memtest86 - A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic

If there are none, how to; Turn On Minidumps

If you haven’t already turned on minidumps, go to the Control Panel and follow these steps:

1. Go to Control Panel-> Click on System Icon
    2. Advanced Tab
    3. Startup and Recovery -> Settings
    4. Enable Write an Event to the system log
    5. Disable Automatically Restart
    6. Select the following debugging information:
      • Small memory dump (64 Kb)
      • Small Dump Directory : %SystemRoot%\Minidump
    7. Confirm all and restart the computer.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Have you aggressively scanned for malware?
    http://forums.techguy.org/general-security/603629-security-help-tools.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    This is my extreme trouble shooting technique that I use to figure out difficult problems,

Tony’s Extreme PC Trouble Shooting Guide
    *When I have a hard time figuring out a problem on a Computer I put on my Antistatic Strap and I pull every piece of hardware out of the case, disconnect every cable,
    What if there is a ground problem like the Motherboard touching the case, you would never know without doing this...
    I start by laying the Motherboard on a piece of anti-static plastic that came with the board or a piece of wood. NEVER METAL.
    Then connect the Power Supply Unit and Hard Drive to the Motherboard,
    Make sure you have the hard drive jumper’s right, try different settings MA vs. CS.
    Set Motherboard Jumpers to default to start with.

I reinsert ONE stick of single memory or the set (2) of dual channel memory in the correct slots, mine is 1 and 3...
    For example this is what I used in my last build;
    http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_el_ddr_pc_3200_dual_channel_platinum
    Then reinsert video card and plug in monitor and fire it up and see what happens...
    This will help you figure out if it is one of these items that is causing the problem, IF it is hardware related.
    BIOS should be reset to default,
    You will have to manually set the boot order to: CD-DVD ROM first, HARD DRIVE second.
    Then I plug in my CD-DVD Rom Drive using the cable that came with my Motherboard.
    I will WIPE the hard drive,
    Here is a program for wiping the hard drive;
    http://www.dban.org/download
    Just do the simple single wipe, once is enough for this purpose. It will wipe it completely clean; everything will be gone… ALL partitions will be gone, so backup of personal files is critical first. If you have a RESTORE PARTITON DO NOT USE THIS WIPE TOOL.
    Then I reinstall ONLY the OS with service pack 2 slipstreamed and no additional updates at this time.
    Then I install chipset and video drivers from the disc that came with the hard ware and then if the system is stable I will play with it for a few hours and see what happens.
    Play music, open up all the applications that come with windows and do different things with them, anything I can to load the system down with software to see how it responds.

Here is a great tool for getting detailed info about your system.
    An important thing to know is if your power supply is sending the correct voltage to your memory you can compare and confirm this with this tool.
    System Info for Windows: SIW.EXE
    If you can go here;
    http://www.download3k.com/Install-SIW.html
    and download SIW.EXE to desktop or my documents and run it.
    It will ask you about registering/buying just hit the cancel button and it will run just fine.
    Over in the left you can click on anything for detailed info about it.

I only get updated or different Drivers from the manufacturer’s web site, NEVER from Microsoft Windows Update Site, if the original ones do not work for your system.
    If the drivers work why change them?
    And then if it is still running bad?
    It may be your OS install, corrupt, bad disc, or it is still hardware...

Then you have to research and trouble shoot your hardware, which of course is hard to do. Bench marking my be the ticket. That costs money so do it as a last option.
    Hard drive test and Memory test next:
    I will run memory tests doing one stick at a time unless it is paired dual channel designed to be run as a pair and I will still try one stick at a time first.
    Beginners Guides: Diagnosing Bad Memory
    Memtest86 - A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic

I will run some hard drive tests;
    http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

This can and will take days to figure out and of course it will be a 2 minute fix :)
    If all is well I will put everything back into the case and test it again.
    Then after a few hours I will start to add software, one application at a time and test it for a few hours so you know when and what causes it to crash or run bad…
    Don’t go on the internet without an Antivirus AND Firewall installed first.
    The average time before system corruption with malware or spyware is about 5 minutes.

Last Resort; Research your BIOS version (SIW.EXE will give you this info) of firmware that you have and check any other versions and see if there is a specific version that is suppose to fix the problem that you have and get a second opinion from here or where ever you can.
    Then and only then should you maybe think about updating it and do that as a LAST RESORT when all else fails as it can ruin your Motherboard if done wrong or if the wrong version is used…
    64 bit systems can be an additional challenge as there are a lot less drivers and information to research about.
    I once added a new dvd-rom drive and pulled the IDE cable that came with my motherboard out and used the one that had the 80 wires that came with my new dvd-rom drive in and it caused all kinds of problems and I didn't figure it out for 3 weeks and countless hours of trouble... I put the motherboard one in and it was fixed...1 minute later.
    But I had to go to this extreme to figure it out.

3. jamesta999

jamesta999 Thread Starter

EPIC response, tyvm. I'll check it out.

4. thecreator1223

thecreator1223

I have a quick quistion, dont know if this is possible, but this is something that struck me as i was going throught all these forums and finnaly getting fine tuned with dual boot systems.

I would like to know if it is possible to make maultiple Windows XP boot systems to where oyu have different setting on each boot system that you have, i just kinda did a little test onight and discovered that there was a slight change by copying my

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /TUTag=2K9EBE /Kernel=TUKernel.exe

and renaming it, aswell as copying the TUKernel.exe and renaming it and making it look like this

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="The Creator's OS" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /TUTag=2K9EBE /Kernel=THECREATOR.exe

The thing is that when i boot up i see both these boots but the problem is, is when i make changes to the one, for instance just moving around the desktop icons then restatring my system then booting to the other boot instance it has changed my desktop icons there aswell, but i have custom boot skins annd all that and it changed those back to default on the newly created boot instance that i had just copied and booted to after making the desktop changes.

I guess where iam going with this question is hoe can i go aboout making multiple XP boot systems but having totalle different setting on each boot instance without having to create different partitions and installing windows 6 times if i want 6 different boot instances, there has to be a sipler way.!!!

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

(y)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753784

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice