1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved PC games freezing

Discussion in 'Games' started by njlong, May 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. njlong

njlong Thread Starter

My PC/steam games are freezing two minutes into play. Can't exit to task manager only hard reboot. I'm using a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 (brand new so easily able to handle AAA games) with gtx 1050 ti nvidia graphics card

Things I've tried;
    DDU removal of nvidia drivers with clean reinstall (this actually seemed to work for a couple weeks but then started up again and didn't work again)
    updated BIOS
    Memory check
    power optimization
    Steam game reinstall

I also ran a performance report on my windows 10, found missing 'event log' data and ended up reinstalling windows 10 which resulted in even more 'event log' data missing. I'm not savvy enough to know if these are connected.

Any suggestions?

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  2. Paul23

Paul23 Temporarily Banned

First Name:
    Paul
    what size power supply are you using?

3. njlong

njlong Thread Starter

The processor is an Intel core i7 7700HQ CPU @ 2.80 GHZ 2801 Mhz, 4 core, 8 logical processors (I'm not really that tech savvy so I hope that's the info you needed)

Update; I decided to clean install an older nvidia driver last night to see if that helped and, oddly, I got about 30 minutes play before a freeze happened. I can't understand why that would happen.

4. Paul23

First Name:
    Paul
    What size power supply are you using?

5. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

6. Paul23

First Name:
    Paul
    Thanks. I didn't notice that.

7. njlong

njlong Thread Starter

Thanks Courtneyc. I have had that it issue with previous laptops which was why I bought this particular gaming laptop with dual fans. The temperature is fine. Luckily, my search on another forum has resulted in a solve. It's not the laptop, it's my Xbox 1 controller. Turns out that when the batteries get low, it can freeze the game. Still not sure how that's possible but it's fixed now.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1210289

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice