PC Gaming - is it dead and more towards consoles?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Lightmuncher

Hi all, I have thankfully been told on this forum my computer is ready and okay to play games. I was elated by the news. So now have been looking for used/pre-owned games. I have come across very few and those I had seen were quite frankly old titles. Is there a place in the UK that sells pre-owned, or has the PC gaming world become none existent? I have looked in my old haunts where I have bought my pre-owned Xbox360 games. I use gaming as a way to focus on something else rather than the chronic pain I have to deal with and it helps keep my morphine intake down. So hoping you guys can offer me more insight. Thanks all of you, hope you are all staying safe these days.

PC gaming is not dead, it's expensive.

Having 300 or more patched games in steam account costs from 10K to 20K euros.
To get a gaming PC costs min. 3K up to 10K euros
To upgrade your PC, buy new games and equipment on regular basis you need min. 1K up to 3K € per year.

Then taking amount of time needed to play games I'm pretty much sure not many people can afford this sport.

See related article:
PC gaming is mega expensive

Lightmuncher

To upgrade your PC, buy new games and equipment on regular basis you need min. 1K up to 3K € per year.

Then taking amount of time needed to play games I'm pretty much sure not many people can afford this sport.

See related article:
I seem to agree with you. There use to be two gaming shops in Lincoln. Now both have gone. They always carried a good stock of pre-used games. Very affordable. Now it seems its going all downloading digital. I know that it is extremely expensive to get games made. Some of the costs I have seen are just crazy, apparently can be the same as a Hollywood film. If I am wrong on that statement, then fine, I need to read fake news instead

Some of the costs I have seen are just crazy, apparently can be the same as a Hollywood film
Indeed, some games to develop skyrocket up to 500 million and more, there is a list on wikipedia and elsewhere, but that doesn't concern us who play games because that sum doesn't affect consumer prices too much.

I personally don't find too expensive to pay ex. 80€ for game + all DLC's IF that game is what I absolutely must have right now.

problem is almost always hardware, I no longer play games until I turn into a zombie, but I'm happy the type of games I play don't require high end GPU because they're all either turn based or pausable :p

Melvin25

Melvin

See related article:
I agree that not everyone can afford PC gaming that's why consoles are the best options for gamers.

A lot of games around now are coded (input code and play game) so cant be resold as such- one of the bigger reasons physical games arent around so much. Online platforms like steam or epic games let you buy at home, download at home, and play at home have also seen an upsurge over the past years, and a lot more so since the beginning of the year. More and more distributors are using online platforms, as they can charge pretty much the same as a physical copy without making and distributing copies- saves them a lot of money.
As far as cost goes, it doesnt need to be expensive. I used to upgrade a lot, and have one major overall annually, but havent really done anything for the last couple of years as it doesnt make a lot of difference.

My steam account has .. oh, about 900 games in it, the vast majority either on sale or cheap, so probably a fiver each, maybe a tenner. So no, it doesnt have to be expensive.

As far as consoles go, you're using tech thats a few years old, no upgrades, and when the next one comes out in a years time you have to buy it to play latest games. Not cheap!

However PC will always have the advantage of mouse and keyboard, which always gives better results. On top of that you need to remember its not just a games platform- it is there for work, email, internet browsing, and a load of other things.
So no, consoles have not made PC redundant, nor will they take over.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online