1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC gets power light to light up, but nothing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stoltified, Feb 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stoltified

stoltified Thread Starter

When turning the PC on the PC on light will ight up, but when i press the button to turn it on nothing happens... I'm sure this may have an effect on it, so let me give you the history of the computer. I was installing a USB card reader, and when i plugged it in the computer shut down and shorted out (i suppose) and then it actually smelt like something was burning.. Am i screwed? or is there an easy fix to this?

2. exocet

exocet

Hello there. It's definately not good when you smell something burning.

I'm assuming all you did was plug the USB connector of the card reader into a USB port on the back, correct? Your case was not open or anything?

I am venturing a guess that either there was debris in the USB port when you plugged it in, or your computer was not properly grounded, or something happened to the power supply.

Your next step would be to determine what device has failed. Turn off your computer, remove the power cord to the power supply, and open the side of the case. Carefully take a look at your motherboard. Are there any visual signs of something that got fried? If you have a second computer, you may want to use that to test each part of the fried machine: the RAM, the power supply, etc.

Let us know what your situation is in better detail!

3. stoltified

stoltified Thread Starter

I opened up the computer looking for any visible signs of a burnout but nothing.. so i plugged the computer back in when it was opened... i again started to smell the burning but it wasn't as strong as orginally. the ram works fine in other machines as well as the usb card reader

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118437

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice