Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

PC goes to "Locking" mode when "Shutdown" is selected

Solved 
1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Macboatmaster 
#1 ·
Hi All,

My W8.1 laptop has recently started going to "Locking" mode when I press the power button (on the machine) and/or select "Shutdown" from the start menu. I've checked the power settings and the PC is definitely set for shutdown as opposed to some other function such as sleep, hibernate, etc.

So basically after I click or press the power button, the screen schows "Shutting Down" (as would be expected) but after a few seconds changes to "Locking". Once the operation is complete I'll need to tap any key (to wake it up) and then click shutdown from there. Only then will the machine fully shutdown.

I'm not sure how this behavior began but I haven't been able to trace it back to 3rd party software. ANy thoughts or solutions appreciated! Thanks.

#2 ·
have you tried clean boot

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search. Or, if you are using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, and then click Search.
  2. Type msconfig in the search box, and then tap or click msconfig.
  3. On the Services tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then tap or click Disable all.
  4. On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click Open Task Manager.
  5. On the Startup tab in Task Manager, for each startup item, select the item and then click Disable.
  6. Close Task Manager.
  7. On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click OK, and then restart the computer.
then see if it will shut down

#3 ·
Thanks, will give it a try.

#4 ·
Let me know please how it is in clean boot and then if it is OK I will advise

#5 ·
Oddly (but happily) the problem seems to have resolved itself. If it reoccurs I'll refer back to your advice. In the meantime, thanks most sincerely for your help! Much appreciated :)

#6 ·
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.