PC Graphic glitches/tearing + Freeze ups during certain games. Plz Help I'm stumped

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Spinncycle

Hi folks

I'm hoping this great community can help me pin point a problem I am having with the majority of my games.

PC Specs:
P4 3.2 GHz
2GB Ram
Geforce 6800 GT 256
Windows Xp Sp2

Beginning about a month ago (had this home built PC for about a year or less) I started encountering a problem with some new games such as M&M Dark Messiah, Warhammer Mark of chaos, and even World of Warcraft (which worked fine in the past). The problem is when I would start playing the game I would within minutes start experiencing graphic glitches/tearing and then freeze-ups that would last around 10 seconds at a time, and they would continue until my computer would shut and restart.

My first impression is that my 3D card is overheating, however World of Warcraft for instance is working fine now after I followed a couple recommended fixes (deleting game cache folder,etc) and adjusting my graphic settings. Unfortunatly I can't really pinpoint what was the exact problem was since I did a variety of things untill it started working fine.

Logic tells me its my 3D card crapping out on me, but instinct tells me that its something else because why would world of Warcraft work fine, along with Warhammer 40k, but certain other games freak out? Another quick example, I had this graphic glitch freeze up problem happen to me again with Never Winter Nights 2 during character creation??? Only 1 simple 3d model present during creation, so this shouldn't be causing overheating.

Long winded I know but I am stumped and have searched countless forums for solutions. If there is any more info you require, feel free to ask and I will be happy to reply.

Thanks again, if anyone can help me find a solution or a way to find out if infact my 3d card if overheating or faulty I would greatly appreciate it.

Spinncycle

Thats quite unusual. Your Pc specs are very good, a 6800GT should have no problem rendering detailed 3D. I have a 6800 GS and it can run Neveriwnter nights 2, and Mark of chaos fine.

The only thing i can personally think of, is your systems background services, sucking up your RAM, and causes it to jitter and lag out. Have you taken a look in your task manager under processes? If you have a lot of processes running, and they are taking lots of memory (15,000 -> 30,000K) you could probably do with shutting a few of them down to free up some RAM. Not just any ones though, you need to make sure not to stop important system files.

Goto Start -> Run -> Type "msconfig", when it loads, goto the services tab, and check the box at the bottom that says "hide all microsoft services". Then you can select "disable all" or disable a few, and keep the ones you need. This should free up some RAM.

-- Other helpful tips for top performance --

1) Run a disk defragment. If you have a partially or badly fragment hard-drive, it can cause your games and applications to run rather slow, and load slower.

2) Try using a program such as SpeedUpMyPC 3.0 , or a registry cleaning program. To remove Junk files, privacy intrusion files, and clean up your system registry.

3) bring up your system properties, (start -> right click my computer -> properties) go to advanced tab, -> under "performance", click "settings". -> goto the advanced tab, goto "virtual memory" set the initial to 2048, and the maximum to 4052. This should give you an extra memory boost.

If none of these work, the only thing i could suggest is to re-install the games. :(

Good luck

Ash

Make sure you have the absolute latest drivers for your video card installed, and the latest version of DirectX, Microsoft released an update a few weeks ago.

To check if your video card is overheating, take the side of the case off, and point a fan towards the inside. If the problem goes away, or at least gets better, then there's a heat issue.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online