1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC Graphics Cards: Budget card comparison question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by uuddlrlrbast, Jun 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. uuddlrlrbast

uuddlrlrbast Thread Starter

Looking to get an ATI All-in-Wonder card and also boost the performance of my existing card (a GeForce3 ti200). I'm using a P4 1.7 and 512MB RAM.

Found a great deal on the 9000 Pro at $150 CDN (complete with remote, etc.). The obvious question is, with a P4 1.7, will this be much of a performance boost over my existing card?

Any other All In Wonder cards in the budget range you would recommend? I'd like the break out "box" and remote control.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. zeddy

zeddy

You will see some performance boost, but on top of that you are getting a PVR, TV card and VIVO solution.

3. uuddlrlrbast

Thanks. So is the 9000 still a recommended card at the price, or is it worth it to go the extra $'s to the 9600?

4. zeddy

zeddy

If you can afford the 9600Pro or the better XT AIW then its a much better card, but then the more you spend the better the card (usually). The 9000 is an OK card, if I had the $ I would splash out on the 9600, but not on the standard or SE version but on the pro or XT versions.

All these cards are more powerful than your ti card and more versatile. If you are into gaming in a big way then the 9600 is the preferred option.

5. uuddlrlrbast

Thanks, you were a great help.

The 9000 Pro more than meets my current gaming needs (I'm not big into FPS') so I went with that. A bit disappointed with the lack of FM tuner (which seems almost standard on most TV tuner cards), but I wasn't willing to blow the extra $ on a 9600 Pro just for an FM tuner.

Hooked up the Playstation2 to test the S-Video and composites on the break-out and was disappointed with the quality of picture, but it will do I suppose. Maybe there is an optimum resolution for this type of application (e.g., VCR, game system, camcorder, etc.)? I had the TV window maximized at 1280x1024.

Also ran some benchmark tests and the Farcry demo and was really surprised at how much of an improvement there was over the ti200. Especially with Farcry -- just a wild estimate obviously, but I'd put it in the range of 30% to 40% improved performance.

Overall, great card. I look forward to upgrading to the 9600 Pro once it is at a budget price.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/241374

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice