1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC grinding to a halt......almost!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by michaelrennie, Nov 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. michaelrennie

michaelrennie Thread Starter

I normally operate with Firefox. I am told that I should have a memory usage on Firefox of around 120000K. Over the last couple of weeks my PC is grinding to almost a standstill with a memory usage of nearly 400000K! At this point web pages take around a minute to change. The only way I can get over this is to reboot the computer, but within 45 minutes the MU has risen dramatically.

I also cannot use Windows Explorer or AOL browsers.

I also keep having a message stating that applications are failing to start '..........because MSVCP71dll was not found..' A souple of taps on 'Enter' clears this.

I have no idea if there is a link between the two problems. I cannot make any sense of MSVCP71dll on a Google search.

Please can anyone help me get out of the mess I am in. Any replies must be in words of one sylable, as I have great difficulties in understanding computer jargon.

2. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    First, please post your basic system info by using this:

TSG SysInfo

What version of Firefox are you using? Have you added any add-ons recently? Have you installed any other software recently? The error message is related to a software issue.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028304

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice