1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC half-freezing while playing videogames?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by irequirehelp, Oct 15, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. irequirehelp

irequirehelp Thread Starter

Pretty often while I am playing video games will sort of half-freeze, where my mouse and audio would play but everything is unresponsive and cant be interacted with. During these freezes, I noticed that my HDD light turns off, and my GPU goes to 0% usage in task manager. Any help?

GPU: Geforce GTX 1060 6gb
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 2600x 3.6ghz
    MOBO: x470 gaming plus
    RAM: 16 GB

2. Shazzalive

Shazzalive

First Name:
    Sharron
    What about processor usage? When your HDD light turns off, and your GPU goes to 0% usage in task manager, does your CPU usage shoot upwards? - Only I'm thinking that your system may be laden down with running other programs of a dubious nature that you maybe don't even know you're running; i.e. adware, spyware, PUPs, malware even.

bassfisher6522 likes this.
  3. irequirehelp

My CPU doesn't act erratic at all during the moments of freezing, although I am not entirely sure it is related to my problem, but occasionally my disk will hit 100% with very little MB in usage, for example, at some times around 10 processes using 0.1-0.3 MB/s will fill my disk to 100%, but during other times having certain programs utilizing 8-10 MB/s would leave me at around somewhere around 70%. my HDD is a recently installed WD Red 2TB, ( due to my old seagate barracuda 1tb stopped working and led to BSOD's. )

4. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

First off your using a NAS HDD as your primary C drive. For the price of that 2 tb drive you could have grabbed a 500 GB SSD or even a 1TB SSD.

That aside, have you checked what programs you have running at startup? Have you checked your system for any malware/spyware? Do you have all your mobo drivers installed and up to date?

5. irequirehelp

I ran a malwarebytes check, and have eliminated 3 responses, and upon inspection of startup programs, I had found a suspicious application simply named "Program" without an icon. I have removed all 4 elements and am now updating my motherboard. Thank you for the help so far, and I will likely return following a potential freeze.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are never going to get good performance using a Red drive as a system drive. Those are intended for use in a NAS and only turn 54ooRPM. You would get better performance from a black drive OR from a ssd.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1234307

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice