1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC Hangs During Boot Initiated By Software Change Restart

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by peteb_hwp, Jan 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peteb_hwp

peteb_hwp Thread Starter

I have a WinXP SP3 Intel system, but I think my problem is with the hardware or the boot sector info, not the WinXP (although I may be wrong. Here is what happens: Say Microsoft or any other software mfr that I have installed on my PC installs a WinXP or other patch, such as a MS update. When the patch installation is complete, the install process says that I must reboot the PC to install the new files (or whatever), and asks if I want to do the reboot. If I select that option to do a reboot, the PC does go into a restart, but it always hangs during the BIOS bootup; it just sits there forever doing nothing while the bootup screen is displayed (Intel BIOS if it matters).

The only way I can get it to complete the reboot is by shutting off the PC power and restarting with a power on, IOW I shut off and then tturn on the power.to the PC itself. If I do that, it then starts up OK, although occasionally it seems to not complete whatyever it needed to do during boot and I have to do the whole installation over again. Most of the time it works, and almost always it works with MS updates.

Is there some way to find out why this bootup failure occurs? It never completely refuses to run, I never have to, say, restore the whole HDD from a backup or anything like that. It just hangs during the rebbot of the BIOS, and even if I display the extended BIOS startup steps, nothing indicates a problem (normally I just display the Intel bootup screen graphic).

I should mention that this also happens sometimes when the PC is just started up and sitting there for a bit, it will do a reboot and hang as above. I look in the system event log and it says sonmething like "The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000008e (0xc0000005, 0x804f5ba3, 0xb967fc08, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini012211-01.dmp.
    For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.".

Is there any way to find out what is making it fail to complete the BIOS reboot? I see that the BIOS itself has a screen where you can view an event log written by the BIOS, but it does not say what that actually is used for. Should I check it as well?

I am tempted to use my WinXP install disk recovery iutils to rewrite the boot sector to what is original at install, but I am afraid to do that for fear of screwing something up. Would that hep or should I leave it alone? I have Acronis Backup, so I could do a sector save of the whole HDD in case of a problem, but I still am hesitant because I don't really know what is in the boot sector to begin with. I also have Acronis Disk Doctor so I could read that boot sector if it would help, but I am always afraid to even do that.

Thanks,

peteb

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976224

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice