1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC Hangs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pointman, Sep 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pointman

pointman Thread Starter

I have a PCII 266- NEC Ready 9847, which was booting just fine, UNITIL one day, when I went to boot it up, all of the hardware was found upon the initial boot-up sequence, the bios info was shown, and then...it just hangs with the _ (underscore prompt) on the screen not doing anything.

Using Windows 98 SE. I tried a Boot Up Disk, no luck at all. I went to BIOS setup to see if changing the boot up sequence would help...still same result.

Any ideas on why this sytem decided to hang & what to do to fix it??? This system is for my mother and she only uses it for email. **Also, if I can get to work, again, does anyone know what is the speed and memory that can be inserted into this pc? I have tried SDRAM 100 mhz, 2 x 64 to no avail!!

2. mobo

mobo

reboot with the 98 boot disk and at the a>: prompt type sys c:. When complete remove the boot disk and reboot..

3. zeddy

zeddy

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you have 2 64MB chips, try them one at a time.

It does seem like it fails to boot on O/S. What happens if the bootsequence has the floppy as the first bootdevice and you use a known good bootdisk? Does it try to read the disk at all? Is the hard drive being detected at all?

5. pointman

pointman Thread Starter

Thank you all for your suggestions, but their is no prompt of any kind. I have tried booting with a floppy disc and this does not work eitheir. If anyone can think of anything else, it would greatly be appreciated.

6. zeddy

zeddy

You could try taking out the soundcard and modem and see if will boot with minimum hardware.

7. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

Max memory for that unit is 128mhz of PC66 (only)...

To me...,it sounds like the hard-drive died.

8. mobo

mobo

When you tried the boot floppy was the bios set to boot from a first ?

9. greengeek

greengeek

Have a look inside the case and make sure all the cables etc are inserted properly and while you're in there get rid of all the dust.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166859

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice