PC Hangs

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kevt

Hi,
I've just started to have problems with my PC. It starts and runs fine, then I hear a click from the hard drive (I think) and then Windows becomes unresponsive. This happens randomly, sometimes not at all. At first I thought it was a hardware problem, but it does not happen all the time, and it always seems to restart OK. I'm sure that Windows is running something because my CPU fan runs quicker, which tells me the CPU is very busy. Ctrl Alt Delete just causes a blue screen saying Windows has become unstable. I cannot determine what might have changed to cause this problem, I haven't installed any new software or hardware. I would be grateful of any help you can give me.
Spec:
Win98SE, Athlon 900, FIC AZ11, GeForce 2 MX400, on board sound, Network Adapter, PCI modem?

Howdy kevt...

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but, anytime the hard drive starts making clicking noises it means the hard drive is on the way out...

Backup all your data, then goto the hard drive manufactures web site and download the diagnostic program then run it to test the hard drive...

kevt

Jedi,
I downloaded the diagnostics for the drive, a Maxtor DiamondMax, and it reported it certified error free.
The thing is, the click I reported seems to sound like the disc is trying to park the heads, like we used to have to do years ago. Its very similar to the sound I hear when I return to the machine after it has gone into sleep mode. I think its caused by software somewhere, because my CPU usage goes up to 100%. After the click, the macine runs OK for 15-20 seconds then hangs. I ran Norton antivirus, no viruses found and Spybot reports clean.
I have Dual boot to Windows 98 on C:, and Windows 2000 on D:, and I'm currently in win2k. The click has just happened, but it carries on OK
Now Ive just had a dialog box saying I've just removed my DVD drive, which of course I havent. So perhaps the problem is with that, rather than my C: drive.:(

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online