1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC hard reboots when gaming

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jason978, Mar 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jason978

Jason978 Thread Starter

First of all.. first post, long time browser. I think this is a very resourceful website that I have used numerous times in the past, but this issue has been un-solvable thusfar. Hoping we can change that.

Problem: While gaming my computer(s) reboot, kind of randomly. Sometimes reboots occur immediately, sometimes I can play for an hour. No matter what, my PC WILL reboot while gaming.

Background: I built my own PC in 2011 and have had it in 4 apartments, experienced the problem for year.. Got EXTREMELY frustrated and bought myself a pre-built gaming computer from Microtel PC in December.. I bought pre-built to hopefully eliminate this issue with constant reboots while gaming. Guess what - new PC has the same issue. Removed the graphics card and played from mobo gpu and it worked well, rarely rebooting (but still doing so). Customer service finally just sent me another brand new PC they'd built for me to eliminate the problem. SAME F*&#ing PROBLEM!!!!!

Games: Star Wars the Old Republic and Elder Scrolls Online.

My theories:
    So I guess we have to rule out hardware issues for this to be happening with 3 computers.
    I was thinking heat, but I have liquid cooling on cpu and the pc feels cool to the touch.
    I was thinking power surges but I'm using a surge protector.
    And I've even tried different outlets.
    Plugged into the 1 power strip is monitor, speaker set, and PC.

Any help is much appreciated,
    Jason

Dxdiag: View attachment DxDiag.txt

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Try a different power strip.

Please post your system specs, To include Make and model System if Big Box, or same info for the following if custom or home built, Mother Board (including Revision number), Processor (Exact Model Number), Ram, Video Card, Hdd(s), Optical Drive(s), Power Supply Manufacturer Model, Wattage and Amperage on the +12V Rails, OS, and any other peripherals installed on the motherboard.

3. Blu_86

Blu_86

Without getting very technical, could you try both the pre built and also the one you built in another building location?

Also, it is possible that your network setup is somehow doing this. Isolate just one PC at a time. Also you mentioned that onboard HD 4600 works ok, so that means you know the process of elimination drill right?

So let is 'scale' your issue. Meaning since you have the budget to buy a pre built also, lets swap out GPU's from PC to PC if your power supply will easily swap both out. Lets also (instead of a dxdiag) have you plainly list each system in a plain easy to read manner for all techs here to see. So that means also the pre built you bought, where you bought it and the model number. EG Cyperpower, Ibuypower etc.

Lets break this down bit by bit but before we do that lets complete specifications on each PC.

4. Jason978

Jason978 Thread Starter

Thank you for the responses. Please note that detailed system information is attached as Dxdiag.txt in the original post.

For simplicity's sake, the pc of concern, is pre-built and made by Microtel PC. Specifically it's the Microtel MT8065.

Comes with:
    As said, this is the sytem that I want to get working correctly.

The old one I built myself I think I will either sell or convert into a media PC it is (going from memory): AMD FX-8120 (8-core 3.1 ghz), NVIDIA GTX 550ti 2gb, 8 gb corsair DDR3, gigabyte mobo, 800w PS if I remember correctly. But as I said, not as concerned about this pc.

Without getting too far into switching out hardware because the new PC is under warranty...... At this point should I be blaming the circuit breaker in the house, the power strip, or the PC manufacturer? I have had this same problem with 3 systems now. The one I built myself, I've had this problem with for years across multiple apartments.

As always, thank you very much,
    Jason

5. Blu_86

Blu_86

If you have had this issue in multiple apartments in different locations across multiple PC's the only common denominator I could think of would be a power strip/UPC type scenario.

6. Jason978

Jason978 Thread Starter

Just bought a new surge protector, still got restart after playing TESO for 1-2 minutes.

[​IMG]
    New on top, old on bottom.

7. Blu_86

Blu_86

Nice picture. What would be the common denominator that you see?

8. Jason978

Jason978 Thread Starter

Well the PC I built and the one I bought have different PSU's. They now have been tried on different surge protectors.

Tonight I will try running the PC through an extension chord from different circuit breakers.
    -> My concern is that this will do nothing to help, as the PC I built myself has been having this issue for years in 4 different apartments.

Is it a known issue that computers have this issue due to bad circuit breakers or surge protectors?

9. Jason978

Jason978 Thread Starter

Bump

Is there any aditional information I can provide to help in finding a solution, or even an error? I have yet to find an error code or anything like that.

I unchecked automatic restart on system failure from System Properties > Startup and Recovery.

10. Jason978

Jason978 Thread Starter

11. RachelGreenberg

RachelGreenberg Banned

removed by mod.

12. Jason978

Jason978 Thread Starter

13. Johnny2K

Johnny2K

Have you monitored any of the system temps?

14. Jason978

Jason978 Thread Starter

Thank you for responding, I was losing hope :(

Yes, the highest I've seen across the whole system (CPU, GPU, PSU & RAM) was 75 C. However I can't figure out how to see what the temp is at time of crash, because I'm in game when it happens.

15. Johnny2K

Johnny2K

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145290

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice