PC has 24GB RAM but cannot exceed 8GB & keeps lagging

juggernogg

Hello everyone,

I have an Asus Zephyrus GX501 running Windows 10 PRO with 24 GB RAM (16 GB CPU + Nvidia 1080 8GB GPU) and I have been using it for almost 4 years now. Since past few months now, I have been noticing that the laptop starts to lag every few minutes for a few seconds while working. There is certainly a memory build-up after a few hours as even when I am not running any or just one application (after a few hours) it shows that the laptop is using around 6 to 7 GBs of RAM from the 24 GB available and also even with multiple programs and games running, I've never seen the RAM usage go above 8 GB mark and it then just constantly keeps lagging till I restart it after a few minutes. I normally go to the Asus Gaming Center and try to free some memory as a temporary fix to the lag but this just gets really repetitive after a while and therefore, an issue that I wish to resolve because it is making it really difficult to use any software on the laptop.

I am not much educated about the topic and so I sought help from ASUS support and they said it is a software issue and asked me to reinstall windows which did not help and was a complete waste of time. So now they want me to send the laptop for a physical examination but I cannot do it in the middle of my semester. I am not too sure if it is a hardware issue or a software issue but any help in resolving this memory leak / lag problem would be much appreciated.

I am open to any further questions that you might want to ask to clearly understand the issue.

Cheers

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
The ASUS ROG Zephrus GX501 laptop originally comes with 8 GB of RAM which is non-removable.
It has an empty SODIMM slot so a 8 GB or a 16 GB module can be added.
That would allow it to run with 16 GB(8 GB + 8 GB) or with 24 GB(8 GB + 16 GB) of RAM.

According to what you said, I'm guessing your laptop actually has 16 GB(8 GB + 8 GB) of RAM.
I'm also guessing it has a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 graphics device with 8 GB of video memory.

Please do the following in your laptop so we can have a better picture of its hardware:
Download and save the tsginfo.exe file.
After it's been downloaded and saved, double-click it to run it.
Information about your laptop will appear.
Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE text here.

-------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

juggernogg

Hello @flavallee. Here are the details as requested.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 19044, Installed 20210626170607.000000+120
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 9, CPU Count: 8
Total Physical RAM: 24 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 with Max-Q Design
Hard Drives: C: 184 GB (106 GB Free); D: 291 GB (200 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. GX501VIK, ver 1.0, s/n N0CY1727MB0005502
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver _ASUS_ - 1072009, s/n H7N0CY00463327D
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 19044, Installed 20210626170607.000000+120
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 9, CPU Count: 8
Total Physical RAM: 24 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 with Max-Q Design
Hard Drives: C: 184 GB (106 GB Free); D: 291 GB (200 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. GX501VIK, ver 1.0, s/n N0CY1727MB0005502
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver _ASUS_ - 1072009, s/n H7N0CY00463327D
Your laptop has 24 GB of RAM, so I'm going to assume you added another 16 GB to the 8 GB it originally came with.
If you go into the advanced display properties, it will tell you how much dedicated and shared memory its graphics device has.

Does your laptop have 2 separate storage drives or does it have 1 storage drive divided into C: and D: partitions?
Is its storage drive(s) the mechanical hard disk(HDD) type or the solid state(SSD) type?

RAM is meant to be used, so there's no valid reason to try to restrict the amount that's used.
By your own admission, 16 to 17 GB of its 24 GB is remaining unused, so there's plenty to spare to be used.

--------------------------------------------------

juggernogg

Your laptop has 24 GB of RAM, so I'm going to assume you added another 16 GB to the 8 GB it originally came with.
If you go into the advanced display properties, it will tell you how much dedicated and shared memory its graphics device has.

Does your laptop have 2 separate storage drives or does it have 1 storage drive divided into C: and D: partitions?
Is its storage drive(s) the mechanical hard disk(HDD) type or the solid state(SSD) type?

--------------------------------------------------
I actually bought it with 24GB RAM. I manually have never added any additional RAM.

&&

The attached image shows the specifics of the display adapter properties.

1638632143551.png

&&

It is just one storage drive which I divided into C: & D:. It is a 512GB Solid State Drive (SSD).

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I actually bought it with 24GB RAM.
Okay, that's good.
If only 7 - 8 GB of physical RAM is being used, there's no need to restrict the amount being used.
RAM is meant to be used so virtual memory doesn't need to be relied on - which is much slower.

It is just one storage drive which I divided into C: & D:. It is a 512GB Solid State Drive (SSD).
Okay, that's good.
A SSD is much faster and snappier than a HDD.

The graphics device has 8 GB of dedicated memory and is using up to 11.98 GB of shared memory.
Because of the high amount of shared memory, having 24 GB of RAM to run Windows 10 Pro 64-bit is good.

------------------------------------------------

juggernogg

Okay, that's good.
If only 7 - 8 GB of physical RAM is being used, there's no need to restrict the amount being used.
RAM is meant to be used so virtual memory doesn't need to be relied on - which is much slower.
I did not understand this part. I mean, I am not restricting any memory, infact I actually want my PC to use more so that it functions properly and never lags / stutters. The problem I am facing is that once the PC touches the 8GB RAM usage it stops consuming more ram and actually starts lagging really bad. I try to free up memory but that does not help. I cannot use any heavy duty software since it would stutter and lag constantly upon using such software and sometimes even when I am just scanning the PC for viruses or updating (windows), it starts fanning really bad and lags. I do not undertand why the PC does not function to its full RAM potential and stops just at 8GBs.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I misread what you said in post #1.
I thought you were trying to restrict your laptop from using more RAM.
I don't know why it won't use more than 8 GB of RAM.

Go into the Task Manager, then click the "Startup" tab.
How many entries there show as being enabled and running?

Restart your laptop, then wait for it to completely settle down.
Type %temp% in the search box, then press the Enter key.
Select and delete everything inside that folder.
Do the same with c:\windows\temp
After you're all done, restart again.
See if that helps any with the lag issue.

-------------------------------------------------

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Liz:
His TSGSIU log shows 24 GB of RAM, so I doubt the 16 GB module is the problem.
It's my guess the problem is with how his computer is set up and configured and/or which apps are installed and being used.
:unsure:

juggernogg

Liz:
His TSGSIU log shows 24 GB of RAM, so I doubt the 16 GB module is the problem.
It's my guess the problem is with how his computer is set up and configured and/or which apps are installed and being used.
:unsure:

I did the memory test as suggested and have also attached the results. The test was a pass as it gave no error and also showed that the computer has 24GB RAM installed. May be it is the programs I have installed and the configuration but I do not understand how it leads to the whole lag thing since the hardware seems to be completely fine.

The memory leak theory seems to be true since it does build up a RAM even with software completely closed after using. Could it be the motherboard? Or is heating up of the laptop creating just lags? I am just wild guessing right now but any help would would be really appreciated as this problem is really affecting my work sometimes and as I mentioned before, ASUS has been of no help.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks again.

@plodr @flavallee

Attachments

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
According to your third image, your computer has 24 GB of DDR4-2400 MHz RAM. (y)

I've never used MemTest86, so the results it shows means nothing to me. :unsure:

juggernogg

According to your third image, your computer has 24 GB of DDR4-2400 MHz RAM. (y)

I've never used MemTest86, so the results it shows means nothing to me. :unsure:

That is completely alright. We do not have to focus on those results anywys since they show that the system hardware is normal and has no errors. How can we solve the issue from software perspective? :)

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I can't answer your question, so someone else here will need to help you.

plodr

Liz
I don't run Windows 10 so I can't offer any help on the software side.
At least you've determined on the hardware side that RAM is not the problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online