1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC Has died a sudden death. I need a pathologist please !!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rshd301, Feb 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rshd301

rshd301 Thread Starter

Tiny 800mhz Duron
    256 mb ram
    20gb Fujitsu
    MSI MS-6340 Micro ATX mobo
    Windows XP Home OS
    .....and a few other bits and pieces to boot.

A few nights ago, while merrily typing, the PC stopped dead in it's tracks. Not a beep, BSOD, wave goodbye, nothing.

I tried to reboot on numerous occasions without success. The odd time the HD would whirr with the CPU and PSU fans but that wouldn't last very long. Regardless, the damn thing will not boot.

I've replaced the PSU thinking it was a power supply fault but no it was'nt that. I have tried a spare HD but again with no luck.

Has anyone out there in PC guru land have any suggestions (preferably ones that won't cost any money) as I'm opening the window as I type and I'll push it out if needs be.

Thanks,

rshd301

2. rmay635703

rmay635703

Do I gather the power button doesn't make the computer do anything ie no fans whir?

Sounds like either a dead motherboard (most likely), cpu (cpu usually dies if the fan dies), or video card (an overvolting power supply can kill everything too) or possibly some combination of these things, without testing each we won't know. But don't throw it out!

Anyway try resetting the cmos and reseating the video card. And give it a try (probably won't work but its free) Also check your video card for any obvios heat damage. And check the usual connections, verifiy there isn't anything foreign inside like screws, wires caught in the fan (yes I've seen it) etc. If you find something its probably the culprit.

If you can beg borrow, etc another socket a duron and have someone relatively knowlegable install it with a heatsync see if that affects it (make sure a new psu is in the case not the old one) If it runs with a new cpu the old cpu burned and its probably a good idea to get a fan. If the cpu doesn't help your motherboard will probably need replacement. You can also check to see if the video card is fryed by simply putting in an old PCI video card and taking out your current one.

If you don't want to fix it (you will probably have to invest $$ to fix) I'll pay the shipping + $50 and take a chance on it if you leave the guts inside, including the old assumably scetchy supply. (assuming your USA)

Good Luck

3. Snorii

Snorii

My friend had the same thing happen because of an overheating power supply. The fan stopped working in it and after it got too hot, it shut off. It was fixed with a new power supply, but your problem sounds more serious, especially after letting it cool down and trying to restart does nothing. Definitely poke around inside and see if there are any signs of excessive heat. Good Luck.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117747

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice