Solved PC has no power at all

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

EagleEye75

Hi All

This is an ancient machine which originally ran windows xp but I put Windows 7 x64 OEM in it and have kinda had all sort problems with it and I am fairly sure the motherboard has died but see what you think.

OK here is what happened .. I had moved it and plugged it into my TV and used for an hour or so no problems ,,shut it down .. moved it back to its usual place, re-connected everything, pressed the power button and NOTHING!!! no power.

ok here is what I have done:

Re-Checked ALL Connections
Checked it with another PSU ..still nothing
used the unplugged all power sources and pressed power button for 15 secs trick thing...still nothing
tried removing ram 1 stick at a time and then both ..still nothing
tried changing the cmos battery ..still nothing

my main reason for posting is to get clarification that is sounds like a motherboard failure and also if I put another motherboard in it how will it affect me will I need to purchase another key or will I not need to do that I am clueless with these matters whats right whats not so and so on.

Also I have a similar motherboard just slightly later version, would all the parts work with it RAM,CPU etc etc or in theory should they work.

Old Motherboard: Albatron P4M800-775 v1.0

Replacement Motherboard: Esys P4M800/775 v3.1

if you need more info on all the parts I will try get them as soon as I can, I do not really what to spend any or very little on this as I am not sure it is worth it but if I can get it up in running again using what I got then it is worth considering

Regards :)

TerryNet

Terry
I agree that the "no power" could be a dead motherboard but it may also be a problem with the power switch or the circuit between switch and PSU.

In my opinion there is no point in spending any money on this (you could buy a refurbished Windows 7 machine as one alternative). Whether you spend any time using parts you already have is up to you.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
In my opinion there is no point in spending any money on this (you could buy a refurbished Windows 7 machine as one alternative).
I completely agree with this suggestion. Spending time and money on that "ancient machine" isn't worth it.
I just purchased a refurbished Dell PC for $230.00 which comes with Windows 7 64-bit and has much newer and much faster hardware.

---------------------------------------------------------------

EagleEye75

Hi Guys

Thanks for your advice I totally agree that spending money on this machine is madness and looking at a refurbished machine is something to consider in long term .. but with that being said if it is lost then I see no reason to try and use that other motherboard to see if I can get some use out of it .. unless I would have to shell out for other parts then I give it up.

one thing about my current windows 7 install would I have to shell out for another key or do you think I should be OK

TerryNet

Terry
If you can convince Microsoft that you have replaced (not upgraded) a defective motherboard and have a legit Windows Product Key (you apparently don't, since on a computer with XP pre-installed you should have a retail Windows 7) then you'll be OK. If you get the computer running you can always fall back on a Linux distribution to make good use of the machine.

EagleEye75

Hi Terry

ok cheers just one thing I do have a disk with a windows 7 x64 with a product key that i did use with a label that I put on side of the pc it is running that OS

yeah Linux is an option never used it before tho but can look into that if it is needed

EagleEye75

Hi

I forgot how to connect up the power switch and stuff to the motherboard if anyone can help

picture of pins on motherboard :

motherboard pin 1.jpg

connecters are:

Power SW
Reset SW
HDD LED
Power LED

All are black with 2 pin slots (probably all are just giving info)

Also got this thing from some page but not sure how right it is

Pin configuration pic.jpg

hope that helps but I am seriously thinking of just get a refurbished Windows 7 machine but if this powers up then I will know it was the motherboard.

TerryNet

Terry
Moved thread to Hardware (from Windows 7), as you definitely have asked a hardware question now. :)

EagleEye75

Thanks to all but is someone going to look at this or should I give this up I know it is lot of work and if someone does I will appreciate that.

I just need to know so I can move on with this hope you can appreciate that I do value everyone's input

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Update:

He's still posting comments in his other thread instead of posting them here.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online