PC hates me-help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mag386

Hi, am new. Sorry for long post. Should have joined when this message board started. Am having so many problems. Need to start a new post for each. All of help files I get cannot open, get cannot open mk:mad:MSIT store blah blah. All of help files are now chm. When try to open using notepad, asks if want to use word, I click yes and get error. Won't open :mad: This so called tech, worked on PC and I found NT programs, ME, XP, and am using win98. I could strangle that guy. Having built all PC's, ran BBS's..was familiar with all extesions.
Have deleted windows, and reinstalled so many times. Have an E3 scanner that <yes is old> but was working fine. Until this so called tech messed everything up. All these new components :eek: He put all old files in a folder and the registry has picked them up. Have used every spyware, program. PRCview is good to see whats it running. Was using Norton, and just tried the free version of AVG and it picked up 3 viruses and a trojan that Norton didn't. Search and Destroy was working then isn't. Programs show the plain icon. Have tried everything. Ready to take a sledge hammer to this. Have sight probs, and can't even see to set a jumper :( Was used to a fast boot up since this is a P4, and now pffffffffffffft. Turn PC on and have time to put on a pot of coffee. Was looking at Lindows-now Linspire. Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp! Don't want to lose want files I do have. Sure miss my old 386 DOS. BTW: I can't even drop to DOS from the menu.

Thank you

Just a thought, put this HD into another computer as a slave drive and see if you can retrieve your files that way. Once your data is safe then do what you do best - reinstall the OS. I have a theory, once you reinstall an OS too many times, you will quit doing what ever you've been doing to make you reinstall it. Then your computer will run fine for years!

mag386

Couchmaster, Thank you. Tried to send you a private message but board says I can't. :confused: Oh well,
I can't even get the front of PC off :-( due to dexterity and sight problems. Anyway, I did find that the idiot so called tech had put all my old windoze files in the other drive and labeled in some off the wall name, in a subfolder
So have triple win.ini, autoexec.bat, config.sys. Etc etc.
Why he didn't burn some cd's with the files, I will never know. Paid to have a R/W cd and lost that program. So have 2 cds that don't work right. So the Main OS and registry picked up most , about all of my files I had. :mad: Will take me forever to try and go thru and save what I can. Have been deleting a lot of things. Since the drive with the old win is on a partition, when get what I can saved, guess will format it. He didn't partition the main drive like I wanted. Had partition Magic and lost it. Have programs from a while back, that aren't on the net anymore. Guy messed up my other PC. Have told this so called tech stuff, he doesn't know about with PC's. Sigh, am doomed. Count your blessings when you have your health.

Thanks again.

DoubleHelix

Banned
What is your goal here? Do you want to reinstall Windows and all your programs and restore the data yourself? Do you want help in trying to fix whatever problems you're having without reinstalling?

Do you have a back up of your data?

mag386

Dhelix, goal is the get all this junk off of here and cleaninstall windoze. Had backed up things, and the guy deleted it. Had back up CD's which don't work. Arrrrrrrrragh. Tried to edit auto exec bat etc/ No Luck, This is all so pathetic. Was another users posts, I thoght, boy, sounds like me. Take PC to different places and no one fixes things, Which sounds like my dead 486. Have never seen so many cab files put on a PC in my life. Have lost quite a few programs already :-( Pay for a r/w CD and get a half program. That says updte to full version. I know if a drive is formatted, programs deleted, they can be recovered with programs I had. Another thing, when boot up says updating configuration files. Every time. What is that and how do I turn it off.

TY

DoubleHelix

Banned
If you want to format and reinstall everything, then forget about describing every problem in detail. It doesn't matter.

Do you know how to reinstall your operating system?

mag386

:cool: Have always wondered if should install from the DOS or go into Win98 directory. I want to do a complete new install. Is how I can save other old programs. One would think, that a person woking on PC's and building them, would know what to do. Am going to need step by step instructions again. SIGH! Had a HP backup before where I could click on what I wanted to restore. Heck onlt knows what the apple orchard tech did to Bis, Cmos, etc, etc.

TY

DoubleHelix

Banned
You can't backup programs, only your data. Your programs will have to be reinstalled using the original disks or installation executables.

So you're going to reinstall Windows 98?

Get a Windows 98 boot disk here:
www.bootdisk.com

Create the floppy with the executable you download, boot up from it and type format c: at the prompt. Then insert your Windows 98 CD and run setup.exe.

mag386

D.Helix

(y) Thanks so much for the site. I asked the guy for a backup before, and he didn't. Anyone on the forum, try or use Lispire?

Thankies, WARNING to all whom have trouble with PC's after a so called tech has worked on them!!!!! I found another program that showed all updates. Now I can't find it..lol Lot of them in registry that The idiot <excuse me> installed hotfixes, updates, for win 98. SE, ME, XP. Wish I could copy and paste all these things. No wonder are so many cab files. UPDATES!! A lot of these installed updates cannot be uninstalled. Since he put a subfolder called windows on other drive, what should I do there?
:confused: Need to go back and correct spelling errors on last post.

Was going to ask why would one do this. But the below answers it. More $$$ for them, or too ashamed not to say, "I don't know"

Oh gosh ActiveX and Java is messing things up again.

DoubleHelix

Banned
Hotfixes or patches cannot be installed on an operating system you do not have. If you're running Windows 98, then a technician did not install Windows XP hotfixes.

It is also not a technician's job to back up your data. It's yours. If it's a reputable shop, they probably had you sign a waiver saying they're not responsible for data loss.

mag386

D.Helix,
I originally had win 95, then he put 98 SE on here. Only have the SE upgrade CD. As far as the patches as hotfixes, he did...I found them. Went to the Microsoft site and found IT hotfixes. So please don't say he didn't. As I found them. And a log, which is the same day he worked on PC. Reinstalled IE. Back to original. Have been there watching him work on PC's and he just networks them and puts data from one PC to another. Which I think he may have accidentally did. As there were a couple of games, I never have had on here. I many a time when he couldn't get something to work, made a suggestion. And it worked. As I delete some of the hotfixes, etc. Am getting back old programs. Also, I had Norton 2001, and Guess what appears..2004. Uninstalled and when went to reinstall, said the serial #'s not correct. As when I went to reinstall, it said the code was not the same. OEM. I sent the original disk with him also. And they do NO have anything RE: loss of data. In fact there is only the owner of the place and this guy, who is secretary, bookeeper, etc etc. I know tis is not their job to back up. I specifically asked if he would. And would pay for it. Wish I could get out to the place that was reputable. The $$ I have put out, could have gotten a new PC. When a person takes a PC somewhere, and asks for specics, they should be honored. Using prc viewer, windows explorer says WIN NT version? Can you explain how all my help files became chm files and when go to help, says cannot open

mk:mad:MSIT store c:\windows\Help\
windows.chm
Thanks for your reply. :)

DoubleHelix

Banned
A technician did not install Windows XP hotfixes on a Windows 98 computer. It's not possible. They probably did install Windows 98 hotfixes. There's no way your computer has hotfixes installed from multiple operations systems.

If you paid to have the tech back up your data and you didn't receive a back up, you go back to this shop and demand your data or a refund.

You cannot reinstall Windows 98 if you only have an upgrade CD and no disks for a qualifying upgradeable product. If you want to format and reinstall, you'll need to buy an operating system disk and license.

I can't explain why your help files don't open. I can't even understand what really happened with this computer. Are you even sure what operating system is installed?

I've offered as much advice as I can. Hopefully someone else with come along who can further assist you with resolving whatever problem it is you're trying to resolve.

mag386

DHelix,
After more investigating, checking the running processes, said explorer.exe was Win NT operating system. Started checking on the net again and rechecking registry, and have deleted this before <thought I did> came back somehow.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT

Ended up at the following url and have all the below files. :-(
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/NtfsWindows98.html

C_437.NLS, C_1252.NLS, and L_INTL.NLS.
NTFS.SYS: this file is located at \system32\drivers\ntfs.sys
NTOSKRNL.EXE: this file is located at \system32\ntoskrnl.exe
AUTOCHK.EXE: this file is located at \system32\autochk.exe!
NTDLL.DLL: this file is located at \system32\ntdll.dll
C_437.NLS: this file is located at \system32\c_437.nls
C_1252.NLS: this file is located at \system32\c_1252.nls
L_INTL.NLS: this file is located at \system32\l_intl.nls

NTDLL.DLL, and three character mapping files, C_437.NLS, C_1252.NLS, and L_INTL.NLS.

I have checked disk for NTFS format. Couldn't find anything other than 32 bit format, so went and looked for hidden nt partition
http://search.atomz.com/search/?sp-q=hidden+nt+partition&sp-a=sp1000b352&serach.x=0&serach.y=0

I don't know whether is a hidden partition or the guy put a win NT system on here. The old win 98 boot disk works though. Whatever, explains why I can't drop to DOS, and when I have gotten into DOS, and cd/ windows. and type win nothing happens. Can you give me advice on how to check again? I thought things were fishy when My documents folder was in another file called audiopci. instead of windows. A friend has full 98 win cd. Sigh, no wonder graphics have been messing up. And have all these cab files.
2 different sets. Called win98 and win_98 folders. All this time, about ready to pull my hair out and never even thought of this possibility.

Wanted to thank you for your suggestions. Seems the guy would have told me what he has done. Patches and hotfixes for win nt were evidentally applied. I don't know what all he put on here.

Thank you again!! Suppose the below should go into a post in the other forum. We are always learning!!
NTDLL.DLL
The Native API is provided to user-mode programs by the NTDLL.DLL library. NTDLL.DLL, besides containing Native API user-mode entry points, has process startup and module loading code in it. The bulk of it, though, are the Native API stubs that transfer control to kernel mode. This is accomplished by executing a software exception. If you look at a stub for a Native API in NTDLL inside of a debugger you'll see something like this (on x86):

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online