PC HDD failed for 3rd time

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

GSTosh

I have a custom PC built with components from various manufacturers and a problem with failing drives. The PC has only light office use with occasional Photoshop.

The first system HD was a Toshiba HDD that failed after 2yr of use and wile very surprised, I put that down to bad luck. Then a second drive by OCZ failed but on returning the drive I was told the manufacturer’s had issued a firmware update which I had not applied to stop the SSD failing. The shop replaced it with a Kingston SSD drive last November which has just failed. This had to be something else.

Curiously, I have a second Toshiba apps/ data drive which has never failed, only drives on the SATA2 P0 connector. The main board is a GIGABYTE H61MA-D2V H61 with an INTEL DUAL CORE G860 3,00GHZ y KINGSTON DDR3 8GB 1600MXZ.

Can anyone help diagnose the problem? The PC works fine otherwise and has all the power we need..

plodr

Liz
It seems like you have pinpointed the exact point of failure
only drives on the SATA2 P0 connector
After 3 drives failing on that connector, I wouldn't use it.

crjdriver

Have you checked your voltages? If not, that is the very first thing I would do. Gigabyte boards have purpose designed monitoring software [called easytune] for old boards and SIV for newer boards. Download and install easytune from the support page for your board. Note easytune is also an overclocking utility. Do not make any changes; simply monitor the hardware with easytune. Once you have the program installed, post the following info; 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. Do this twice; once under normal load and once while running prime95 [free download from many sources]
Here is a link to the support page;
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-H61MA-D2V-rev-20#ov
Do understand that there are two different versions of that board so be sure you select the correct one.

GSTosh

Have you checked your voltages? If not, that is the very first thing I would do. Gigabyte boards have purpose designed monitoring software [called easytune]
thank you, I didnt know about this. I need to get a new OS disk to run anything, or could this be run from a USB dirve?

crjdriver

I do not understand your post. You just download the program and install; no need for any usb flash drive.

GSTosh

I do not understand your post. You just download the program and install; no need for any usb flash drive.
to be clear, the 3 disks that have failed were all system disks; only the data disk is original and never has had any problem.

managed

Allan
I think the OP is saying there is no OS because only the 'data' hard drive is working.

crjdriver

OK, that makes sense now. You can check voltages in the bios however that is in a no load condition and may not reflect actual voltage when the system is under a heavy load.

GSTosh

OK, that makes sense now. You can check voltages in the bios however that is in a no load condition and may not reflect actual voltage when the system is under a heavy load.
Ok will check this evening.
The "load" cuestion is an interesting one: none have the disks failed in use, what has happend always is that you turn up one day and power up to see the BIOS screen.
If load is a factor, then the observed would suggest a load surge on startup?? Also, would it be correct to assume that the PSU has ONE 12v output with two conectors, one to each drive.. so any surge should be to BOTH drives but only one fails..
Is a surge possible from the SATA2 P0 plug? The data disk is on P1.

crjdriver

Also, would it be correct to assume that the PSU has ONE 12v output
No. Many pw supplies have multiple 12V rails. Cheap pw supplies have a single rail [very high end units also have a single rail]

GSTosh

Download and install easytune from the support page for your board. .. post the following info; 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. Do this twice; once under normal load and once while running prime95
So I checked and have the rel 2.0 version of the H61MA-D2V board.

Took out the SSD and when they tested it in the shop, it worked! So put back in the desktop and all seems to be fine.. but I dont know for how long..

Installed Easytune6 and note Vcore=1.188, VTT=1.068, +5V=5.062, +12V=11.975, DDR=1.512. Ran Prime95x64 for around 10mins:

[Oct 10 10:39] Worker starting
[Oct 10 10:49] Self-test 672K passed!
[Oct 10 10:49] Test 1, 460000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M250519 using type-0 FFT length 12K, Pass1=48, Pass2=256, clm=4.

Values pretty much rock steady: Vcore=1.176, VTT=1.068, +5V=5.042, +12V=11.975, DDR=1.512.

crjdriver

Those voltages are fine. It is doubtful that the pw supply is causing your problem. Still possible however your pw supply seems to be functioning correctly under different conditions.
Do you by chance live in an area where there are a lot of pw outages/surges, etc?

GSTosh

Those voltages are fine. Do you by chance live in an area where there are a lot of pw outages/surges, etc?
No pw outages, I assume no surges as nothing trips at home. Power is pretty stable in europe.

If it was mine I would change out the SATA cable from P0 with a high quality name brand. Having the ssd work at the shop makes me think it is a cable problem. There is really no difference between a SATA II and a SATA III cable but if advertised as a SATAIII it is supposed to be guaranteed to run at SATAIII speeds so it is usually better quality.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online