1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC hit the Floor and so have my hopes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Demensions01, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Demensions01

Demensions01 Thread Starter

my cat knocked my PC off my desk about 5 foot.
    first time after that started it up, bios says the processor
    was running at an unnormal speed the last time windows
    was shutdown or somthing to that effect. REPLACED HD.
    curious as to what else may be my problem as if i leave it
    at its tru speed 2.08 AMD it automatically shuts down about
    25 seconds after being on . but if i drop its speed in bios down
    1250 it wont shut down but then it wont read the CD Rom and install
    XP on new HD. any suggestions comments ? maybe some one else
    had this happen. ive asked a few people even some buisnesses.
    i just want to know what i CAN exspect to replace before taking it
    somewhere and letting them tell me otherwise thanks :confused:

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Check to make sure that your CPU fan heatsink hasnt become dislodged. Also I would reseat all connections and ram just to be on the safe side. As best you can check the mobo for any damage such as cracks. If it fell from that hieght it may need to be removed and reinstalled to avoid any shorts.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Check all the connections between the cards and cables. Replug/reseat all the cards and cables. Also make sure the CPU heatsink is seated correctly and that the fan is OK. What is the AMD CPU model? ie. XP 2200+

I once knocked a hard drive off a desk and it bounced off a cement floor - its still running today after 3 years.

Anything could have broken, cracked, or become misaligned - like a motor/gear or read head.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Please tell me that no cats were harmed in that process :eek:

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I bet the cats wits are not what they used to be though! Cats,Kids + Computers = does not compute!

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Anything could have broken with a fall like that, however from your post I would guess your hsf has come loose. AMD hsf are generally a little heavier than P3/P4 hsf; therefore more prone to dislodging.

7. Demensions01

nope no cats were harmed lol a PC is replacable, life is not
    its a AMD XP 2083 , asus A7V600 , ive put new HD and CD-Rom in
    onlything i havent done was removed PCU or Memory and Graphics Card
    as far as i can tell no chips/cracks in the Motherboard
    the one thing i can tell that is bad wrong is
    when running on 2.083 PCU speed after about 25 seconds or more
    it powers down automatically no error message no nothing it just stops and i
    have to Reset the power switch on the power supply for 5 seconds before
    the PC will come back on . but when i put the Speed of the PCU down to
    1250 in the Bios it doesnt shut itself down but still wont load up windows onto the new HD . checked all my cables and so on guess ill be removing the
    MB and PCU a lil later if this doesnt improve :/

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The reason it runs @ the slower speed, is that it generates quite a bit less heat at that speed. I would bet when you pull the hsf, you will find the problem.

Most modern boards have a shutdown function if the cpu overheats. This is adjustable in the bios. Do not disable it until you get the problem fixed.

9. Demensions01

the patch of pudy thats supose to sit on top of the small square
    metal piece on the PCU is all but gone barely any between them at
    all. now my question is . is the PCU Spent ? no visible burned or raised areas
    on the PCU no cracks on any part of the Motherboard, im sure the metal from
    the HSF was touching the metal of the PCU , but there did not presume to
    be any burned or fraid areas.
    PS with there being very little Puddy left i am assuming before i turn it back on i should replace the Heat sinc ? or it would be safe to see if i got the pudy
    back on it enough to run it ?

10. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    THere is not supposed to be very much of the thermal paste in the first place. Just a layer about the thickness of about a sheet of thin typing paper. after you clean the cpu and the heat sink place a bit about the size of a BB in the cpu and sperad it using your finger inserted into a palstic sandwich bag. Make sure it is spread evenly. Then carefully reattach the heatsink/fan unit. While it is disassembled it is time to give the hsf a really good cleaning.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Clean both the cpu and the hsf with 99% alcohol. Note most of the alcohol you see in stores is the 70% type; that has lanolin in it. Do not use that type for cleaning. After you have completely cleaned both parts, then apply the thermal compound as dusty posted. I like to also apply a small amount to the hsf and then wipe it off so as to leave a haze on the hsf.

After you reassemble the computer, enter the bios and set system defaults. Save and restart; it should post now.

12. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    good point CRJ, it is important to prep the Heatsink as well. A good thorough cleaning of the HSF unit should include removing the fan and making sure that the heatsink is totally clean. Especially if you have cats around. Your PC sucks in all the cat dander and that stuff will eventually end up in the fins of the HS. Be careful not to bend anything. And make sure you assemble the unit properly. I have seen mounting clips installed wrong and CPU's destroyed because of the added pressure required to mount the HSF.

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    "AMD XP 2083" - no such CPU, there is an AMD XP2000+ that runs at 1.67Ghz. Make sure you are not trying to overclock your CPU - this will generate more heat and stabilty problems

14. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

OR?
    AMD XP 2800+, 2,083 GHz?

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Or a 2600+ non barton chip; clock of 2.08.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224125

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice