1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC I Built Crashing Constantly

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Deus_Sparda, Jan 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Deus_Sparda

Deus_Sparda Thread Starter

Ok around thanks giving my pc crashed, i reformatted around 10 times, and tried everything. I bought new parts and stuff too. My PC Specs are: Athlon Thunderbird 1.4ghz 512 mb SDRAM, a 40 and an 80 gb hard drive, 300 watt power supply,SB live X gamer sound card, Nvidia GeForce 2 Gts graphics card, D-Link 10/100 eather net card. Im Running Windows 98 SE, explorer 5 or 6 i tried both, Ok now for the problem.... My PC crashes randomly, i can barely do anything with out a crash... but it crashes the most when i try to install somthing. The error can be anything from a blue screen VDX error to illegal operation like explorer, mshtml.dll errors and all kinds of other programs, im about ready to throw a bottle of Captain Morgans Spiced Rum at my pc and yell YOUR THE REASON I DRINK!!! Please help me if you can.

Oh and here are my IRQs if u need em

System Timer:
    IRQ:00

Standard Keyboard
    IRQ:01

Programmable Interrupt Controller
    IRQ:02

Com Port 1
    IRQ: 04

Com Port 2
    IRQ: 03

Creative SB live Series
    IRQ:05

ACPI IRQ Holder For PCI IRQ Steering
    IRQ:05

Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    IRQ:06

ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
    IRQ:07

System CMOS/real time clock
    IRQ:08

Ali PCI to USB Open Host Controller
    IRQ:09

ACPI IRQ Holder For IRQ PCI Steering

SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus

D-Link DFE -530TX+ PCI Adapter
    IRQ:10

IRQ:10

NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS/GeForce2 Pro
    IRQ:11

IRQ:11

PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
    IRQ:12

Numeric data processor
    IRQ:13

Ali M5229 PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
    IRQ:14

Primary IDE controller (Dual fifo)
    IRQ:14

Ali M5229 PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
    IRQ:15

Secondary IDE controller (Dual fifo)
    IRQ:15

2. brianF

brianF

Could be a bad memory chip or could be heat.

You have a lot of ram, remove all but one stick and try it, if it locks up change to the other stick, see if one stick is giving you the problem.

How are your temperatures, those processors run hot and it could be related.

3. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    I agreed with BrianF, RAM and heat are always the first things to look at with the types of problems your experiencing.

Another thing to check on besides the RAM itself is the settings in the BIOS for the RAM. Have you manually set any of the options or are you using the defaults?

What type of RAM did you buy? Is it generic RAM or a well known name brand and how many strips make up the 512mb? If it's more than one strip, I highly suggest removing a strip or as many strips as it takes to get down to 256mb. W98 is known to have problem when you run 512mb or more. Some run 512mb with no problems and others can't. It varies .... Try it with 256 and see if you still have those problems. Also try moving it to different slot combinations. I've seen motherboards that don't like the RAM in slot 1 and 2 but do fine with it in 1 and 3 or some other slot combination.

As far as AMD CPUs, it's very important to have the heatsink mounted correctly and I highly suggest getting an "AMD Approved" fan and heat sink. If it's not mounted just right, many experience overheating.

4. Deus_Sparda

I tried all my ram chips in different combinations, and i tried just 1 or just 2, it doesnt help. my processor is runnin at around 110 -130 and the ram is like the best brand out there... the bios was default and i even had a shop look at it they couldnt figure it out please help!!!

5. viclints

viclints

Dues_Sparda...Good Morning. My ol' ladys machine does the same f'ing thing. Two suggestions for ya':

Check your sound card and ethernet for a good insertion.

Also, do you have enough air circulation throughout the machine. Higher processors require lots and lots of cool air and like Bryan said, it could be the heat. I suggest installing an additional cooling fan in that puppy(front or back). You'd be surprised what it can do for you. :)

Hope this helps a little.

One last note for constant crashes:

Do you have the latest drivers? Have you checked for viruses? And have you removed all the hardware and connectors, then connected them again (this sometimes helps)?

6. griffinspc

griffinspc

Morn'n, I just posted this in a thread just a few steps below, now above yours. He has basically the same problems. New machine crashing. I suggested areas to check the same as the good folks here.

I'm posting this since he hadn't had any way to measure heat, etc. 130 degrees is pretty high. My Thunderbird runs at 104 to 108.

Try the link here since you can get fan speed, voltage drops and spikes, heat, etc.

The power supply is a possible as stated above. Did you try any of my suggestions, (pull one stick since we know you have 2 now) and run with it. Then the other?

Do you have a heat monitor result you can post?

Do you have a MOBO monitor program. I use this and like it. It's a little tricky to set up but works like a champ and seems pretty darn accurate. Doesn't take many resources and you can set it to display the PWSupply heat, CPU heat and MOBO heat in your sys tray. It has montors for voltage (spikes, drops, etc.) and free.

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,7309,00.asp

7. Deus_Sparda

I found out it was bad ram, i talked to a guy he said AMDs can run up to 160 degrees with out problems so 130 doesnt sound bad to me.

8. cshajkur

cshajkur

Don't give Up! I bought mine, it suppose to be the top of the line but will crash, if I look at it the wrong way. I've seen several threads dealing with simular issues in the archives. You may be able to five something usefull there.

Try this resource for additional info: http://www.pcmech.com/build.htm

Run this inventory program: http://www.belarc.com , then stuffit or zip it and send a copy, so we can examine it to see if the componets match up.

9. Gary R

Gary R

160F (71+ C.) are you sure re CPU temp.? Seems rather high.
    Store i bought my comp from says no higher than 55C for the Athlon 1GHz. Thunderbird.
    CPU in mine runs at 114 - 119F while "idling" (waiting for me to run a program or something) with a room temp of 76F and spike's to 123 - 125F when running InoculateIt to check files.
    Someplace on Athlon's homepage they say the Maximum temp a 1 GHz. CPU can take before failure is 70C

10. hewee

hewee

http://ask.amd.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=56,E=0000000000028216241,K=9471,Sxi=14,Problem=obj(4519)

Your Question was regarding:

Normal Operating Temperatures of AMD Athlon™ and AMD Duron™ Processors

A description of this resolution:

System Operating Temperatures Will Vary

The operating temperature of a system or processor is highly dependent on the characteristics of the system
    as a whole and the combination of components that make up the system. Consequently, the "normal"
    operating temperature will vary from system to system, depending on each system's make-up. Some of the
    variables that affect the operating temperature of a system are: case size, air flow characteristics, installed
    components, processor speed, processor heatsink/fan solution, thermal interface material, power supply,
    voltage settings, workload, and ambient air temperature.

Although "normal" operating temperatures are not specified for AMD processors, there are maximum
    operating temperature ratings that must not be exceeded. The maximum operating temperature of a
    processor may be determined by the processor's Ordering Part Number (OPN). Refer to the processor's
    data sheet for additional information (data sheets may be downloaded from the Technical Documents page).
    Typically, the maximum operating temperatures for Socket A AMD Athlon™ and AMD Duron™ desktop
    processors are 90 degrees Celsius for processors operating up to 1GHz, and 95 degrees Celsius for
    processors operating above 1GHz.

Note: The maximum operating temperature specification is based on a measurement taken directly from the
    top center of the processor die. The temperature reported by a system's BIOS may not reflect the true
    temperature of the processor if the measurement is taken from an alternative location. Additionally, the
    reported temperature will be affected by the accuracy of the thermal probe, hardware monitor, and analog to
    digital signal conversion. As a result, some variance should be allowed when comparing the maximum
    operating temperature to the temperature reported by the system's BIOS.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65155

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice