1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC in power saving mode

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Mahendo, Feb 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mahendo

Mahendo Thread Starter

Yet again I turn to your expertise in times of trouble. I have a Packard Bell pc running Windows Vista and this morning Windows asked to reboot after some updates. It did and since then I cannot get past a blank screen. When I press a key on the monitor it comes up with Analog input: in power save mode. Press any key ....
    I have tried turning off power cable to pc and to monitor, and tried pressing F1 and F2 and even delete when repowering all to no avail. I am certain it is something small and appears to be connected with the Windows updates but my Friday-mode brain cannot think of anything else to snap it out of power saving.
    Please help.

2. TomBailey

TomBailey

When exactly does this blank screen appear, before boot?

3. Mahendo

Mahendo Thread Starter

When I switch the pc on the pc whirls into a noisy start but it has no affect as the monitor stays with the blank black screen. Only when I press the + or - on the monitor does the Analog message come up and only for a few seconds. I cannot get anything to work after the Windows update reboot. I have tried pressing repeatedly the F1, the F2 and the delete keys all to no avail. I have no idea where to go next.
    Thank you for your reply and possible help.

4. TomBailey

TomBailey

try holding down the space bar when its trying to boot, then try F2

5. Mahendo

Mahendo Thread Starter

I have tried that already and tried it again now but there is no life in it. Seems to be stuck in power saving mode.:(

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

The PC is not in power-saving mode - the monitor is. You would get the same notice with the PC disconnected. The PC is not creating any output. It cannot be connected to updates.

Check all connections, make sure RAM is well-seated.

7. Mahendo

Mahendo Thread Starter

I disconnected all connections this afternoon and started over again - this after the trouble began - ensuring everything was connected properly and still the blank screen.So it is the monitor that is power saving mode? How can I kick it back into life without damaging it?
    Thanks for your reply.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

The monitor is in power-saving mode because it is getting no signal from the PC. The PC has the problem (I believe).

If you have a plug-in graphics card, make sure that it didn't pull out of the front of its slot.

Try another monitor if possible, just to be sure. Or another graphics card.

9. Mahendo

Mahendo Thread Starter

I'm sorry, I wouldn't know where to look for a graphics card and I don't have another monitor - only my laptop:(

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Is the PC with the problem a laptop?

You don't see anything at all on the screen except that message?

Does the hard drive light flicker or show any other signs of life?

11. Mahendo

Mahendo Thread Starter

No. It is a Packard Bell. I am using my laptop to contact you

12. Mahendo

Mahendo Thread Starter

The pc with the problem is a Packard Bell. I am usimg my laptop to communicate with you.
    The power light on the pc box comes on and it makes its usual whirring noise as a start up.
    The monitor is just a black screen. When I press the + or - buttons on the monitor the Analog mode notice appears for a second or two then goes off. The monitor, which is a Dell, light on the off/on button comes on initially then fades to a pale yellow light.:mad:

13. Mahendo

Mahendo Thread Starter

Sorry, that should be a pale orange light. I did fiddle around with the monitor following your comments about it being the monitor that is in Analog input and the pc came on. But it froze after about two minutes with my Google email on screen. I have tried using a different power lead to the monitor but there is no change, still the blank, black screen. Something is stopping the system from starting up. The blue light on the hard drive box comes on so that seems to be working, but I cannot switch off as the had drive keeps whirling no matter how many timed I try. I have to pull the plug at the mains to disconnect.

14. Mahendo

Mahendo Thread Starter

Still blank. Tried all day!!:(

15. Mahendo

Mahendo Thread Starter

Nothing read, nothing said. It's time for bed. Good night.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!