1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC Internet only works with Ethernet cable

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Predial, Nov 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Predial

Predial Thread Starter

Hey so when I got my pic I never noticed this because I instantly went to connect it with an Ethernet cable. But my pic does not let me muse wifi. The only option there is is Ethernet. I tried everything or well at least I think. But when I go to network connections wifi is not even there it's only Ethernet please let me k ow what to do so I can use wifi

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

PCs generally don't come with wi-fi capabilities unless you purchase them specifically with cards or adapters. Is there any reason you need to use wi-fi instead of Ethernet? The latter is generally a lot faster.

3. Predial

Predial Thread Starter

Yea, I just went to my grandmas house and I usually like to stay with her for a couple of days and took my pc sounds kind of strange. But I really want to use it. My pc came with a few discs you think they might have the things that get your pc wifi?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What is listed under Network Adapters in Device Manager?

What, if any, warnings or errors are anywhere in Device Manager?

5. Predial

Predial Thread Starter

Under network adapters all it says is Ethernet

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What makes you think that the computer includes a wireless adapter?

You probably need to buy a wireless adapter. I suggest a USB connected one, but if you have a spare PCI slot you could also get a PCI adapter instead.

7. Predial

Predial Thread Starter

So all I need is to buy an adapter? I see one on my grandmas computer it says dell it's a little usb thing. Is that it? And if so what else do I need for it? Don't I need a disk or something or is that litterly all I need.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I have no idea. It may be a wireless (Wi-Fi) adapter. It may be a special "dongle" to communicate with a wireless keyboard and/or mouse. It may be something else. What's the model or part number?

You need a driver. The driver will likely be available in Windows or via Windows Update or on an included CD. Best to install the latest driver from the adapter manufacturer's web site.

Assuming that the OS is Windows XP or later you already have a built-in wireless utility (client) program.

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Can you be more specific about your computer, as in what brand and model is it? If it's a laptop then the wireless may be turned off.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1181475

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice