PC is killing wireless network adaptor?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

idleRAT

We've recently switched to wireless broadband and it's working great, easy to set up, fast internet, etc.

Except I think something on the PC is killing off the wireless network adaptors? We plug it in, install the software and set it up, everything is fine and dandy...until someone turns it off! Once the PC has been switched off, it no longer recognises the adaptor, it won't access the internet and can't see that the adaptor is plugged in at all. The USB sockets are working fine.

The first time we took the wireless network adaptor back to PC world and they said it was broken and replaced it, the second time(exact same problem) they said it was fine and didn't replace it.

Where do we go from here? My mother(whose computer it is) seems to think McAfee might be causing the problem because it cries out for updates whenever we switch the computer on(can't update it, no internet), I'm convinced it's the network adaptor, if the first one was broken, maybe it's a faulty batch? Can't run a virus scan as McAfee won't do anything until it's been updated/re-registered. I don't think it's a virus though as nothing else is acting up and we haven't been able to access the internet on that computer for some time ;p

I also tried plugging the adaptor into my ibook to see if it would recognise it and nothing appeared(although I'm pretty sure it's not Mac compatible anyway, but I imagine it should show up?). Makes me think it's more likely that the computer is actually destroying these things o.0

It's an old Dell running Windows XP and the network adaptor is a Belkin.
Please help, I haven't used a Windows computer since I got the Mac and my mother is not very computer literate so neither of us has any idea why it doesn't work.

the adapter should have a little light on it indicating that it's powered up or active.

i'd try uninstalling the software from the add/remove programs utility in the control panel, and then reinstalling. and try restarting before you try connecting. and maybe unplug the adapter when you turn it off and plug it back in while windows is starting up.

oh, is it an older belkin model? ... you might be able to find an updated software version online. that also might help.

let me know how all that works out!

-never.back.from.mac

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online