1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC is lagging like crazy when minimizing a game

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Lu Zhun, Aug 6, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Lu Zhun

Lu Zhun Thread Starter

Hello. I am not sure what it could be.. the CPU is only running at 13% and RAM is not even being half used.. The graphics card handles the game really well and everything is super responsive while in the game.. If I happen to minimize the game to do something else, the mouse pointer itself begins to fade away at times while taking a few seconds to reappear and currently show where it is at. Clicking may not be instantaneous either.. trying to start up something else puts a toll on the system as well and takes almost 30 seconds..

Performance sounds like it is not being distributed properly among the components to take full advantage of the resources somehow. It is acting like the game is taking full priority of the system resources.. I believe I had not changed the OS settings to do this..

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4GHz (Quad-core with enabled hyperthreading).
    RAM: 1866MHz GSkill (32GB) RAM
    Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 970Ti (4GB of VRAM)
    Game: ESO (Elder Scrolls Online)

Any suggestions on what to check for is much appreciated. Thank you.

8-5-2019 2-52-18 PM - Resource Usage with ESO Going.jpg

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

To test out what you are saying, start Task Manager, right click on the game , go to details, right click on the game.exe there and set priorty to Normal. See what happens.

3. lynx1021

lynx1021

When was the last time you defragged?

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Capture.JPG

This is probably a big part of your computer's speed and performance issue.
    We don't know what apps are installed in it, but it's my guess several of them don't need to auto-load and run in the background.
    If you reduce the number of running processes in the startup list and the services list, I'm confident that speed and performance will improve.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Lu Zhun likes this.
  5. Lu Zhun

Lu Zhun Thread Starter

Thank you all for the replies. It is getting a little better now. At least the mouse pointer is not disappearing anymore but things are still slow when minimizing the game. My games' storage are on 2 SSD's in RAID 0. I have heard that defragging SSD's could be harmful, so I do not do that. Storage is about half used, so the SSD's are not likely the issue.

I would cut down on the processes and services, but some services are important to have up. I wouldn't want to stop the wrong service if it is vital for the OS to keep on running. Is there like a list of basic services or the minimum services that are needed for Windows 7 to function normally? Perhaps I could go off of that, and disable the rest.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The computer that I'm on right now is running Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - just like yours is.
    It has 38 running processes compared to the 128 running processes in your computer.
    Unless your computer has a massive number of open browser windows, a massive number of its installed apps are running in the background.

It's been 18 days(August 6th) since you posted this issue, and this is the first time since then that you've replied back.
    Are you seeking help for this same issue in other forums?

----------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  7. lynx1021

lynx1021

Yes, you are right you do not want to defrag SSD's but we were not given that info about what kind of drives you had when I posted.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1231120

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice