1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

pc is SLOW

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by LUIS39, May 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LUIS39

LUIS39 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 4300 @ 1.80GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3069 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 228128 MB, Free - 138930 MB; D: Total - 10239 MB, Free - 4325 MB; H: Total - 7629 MB, Free - 1485 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0CT017
    Antivirus: AVG AntiVirus Free Edition 2015, Updated and Enabled

At first EXCEL was slow but now my Pc is slow in opening any file and navigating the Internet.

I.ve run MALWAREBYTES and CCLEANER and no threat were found.

If there are too many programs running I do not know how to keep them from running on this PC.

Thanks

2. donetao

donetao Banned

3. LUIS39

LUIS39 Thread Starter

Thanks to Gary

PC is running faster but not fast. I removed all unused programs and stopped unneeded programs from automatically starting up on logon. The PC performance is 4.8 Do I need all of these or is AVG enough?

MALWAREBYTES, CCLEANER, WINDOWS DEFENDER (currently turned off) and SUPERANTISPYWARE?

4. donetao

donetao Banned

Hi you are very welcome. These are my thoughts and may not be the thoughts of the forum.
    CCleaner is good. MHO is there are better AV programs than AVG. It has been my experience here in my village that AVG is a resource hog and computers run better and faster with Avira or Avast free. Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpware are great scanners to run on demand and I would keep them around. You need a firewall, so I would turn WD on. I personally run MSE and Malwarebytes premium. I have never ran Vista, but 4.8 performance sounds pretty good. My performance on my W7 is 5.2 I seldom recommend anyone change their AV, but I'm not a big fan of AVG. You can always go back to it. Avira and Avast are both free programs, and would be my choice. I ran Avira and never got infected. I'm sure others may have a comment about this as there are always different opinions on the best AV programs.;)

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If you're comfortable with and used to AVG Free Edition 2015, stick with it.

Keep Windows Defender disabled because it's not needed and it'll run in the background with AVG and slow down your computer.

Keep Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware and put them use every 7 - 14 days.

Don't blindly use the "Cleaner" and "Registry" features of CCleaner because that's a good way to damage Windows Vista and damage some of your programs.

---------------------------------------------------

We don't know what you have installed in your computer and what devices you connect to and use with it, so we can't advise you at this point what needs to auto-load and run all the time.

---------------------------------------------------

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148456

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice