1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pc isn't booting

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sammalachi, Dec 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sammalachi

Sammalachi Thread Starter

I recently built a new pc, however when I try to turn it on, it starts to before shutting down again. This happens every time unless I unplug the Cpu cord, in which case it runs but doesn't boot.
    I am using an Intel i5 processor, 16gb of ram, a Rosewill Nautilus Case, a EVGA 500 watt power supply, and a GEFORCE GTX 1060 gpu.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

and most importantly which motherboard - full make and model
    How many systems have you successfully built please

3. Sammalachi

This is my first pc, and the motherboard is an msi Z370 - A PRO.

4. Macboatmaster

While I look at the motherboard - common mistakes for the first time builder are incorrect board mounting so that part of the circuit PCB is contacting the case.
    Incorrect or not properly made - power connections from PSU
    Wrong cable used from PSU - especially easy if a modular PSU
    RAM not correctly seated.

The fact that it starts and turns off with CPU connected, but will not boot without CPU means little, except that it MAY point to a bent pin when connecting CPU

Your first task while I look at the board is to check ALL connections are properly made and where for instance there is a clip of some sort such as on the main power and CPU power that these are fully seated and then check that ram is full seated and clips engaged at the end of each stick

I will post further when I have had a look at the board

5. Sammalachi

All the ram is properly seated and the standoffs are all installed. All the connections have been made and I'm not using a modular power supply.

6. Macboatmaster

You job now is to look at pages 24 and 25 of your manual and check that you have the connections for the CPU power and any system fans in the correct header on the board. The

Please do not think I am being critical but when I say to check connections I mean CHECK them, you cannot possibly have checked as per post 4 in less than 7 minutes whch is the time from my post to your reply.

What is the exact model of i5
    What is the exact ram details
    Those boards are quite sensitive to which ram and is your ram on the QVL list of ram

IF you cannot find anything on the basic checks I have recommended, and again I stress that having built a system and now it will not post or even stay on - you need now to check MOST carefully - cursory examinations are no good at this stage, proceed as here
    https://forums.techguy.org/threads/troubleshooting-guide-for-problem-builds.580000/

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  7. Sammalachi

The processor is an i5-7500 and the ram is a G.Skill Ripjaws 5 Series 16GB 288 pin DDR4 2400. The Led indicates that there is a problem with the cpu, but I already replaced it.

8. Macboatmaster

I do not think that CPU will work on a Z370 chip

https://ark.intel.com/products/97123/Intel-Core-i5-7500-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3-80-GHz-

on the link above click compatible products
    Z370 is not there and neither is it on the motherboard CPU compatibility
    https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z370-A-PRO#support-cpu

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  9. Sammalachi

Thank you. I'll switch it out for a compatible one right away.

10. Macboatmaster

Cheers
    Please let us know how it goes and if all OK
    mark topic solved by clicking mark solved above your opening post

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1220268

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice