1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC just stopped playing DVDs

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by BigDocH, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BigDocH

BigDocH Thread Starter

My (ancient) Packard Bell PC (Windows XP home) has suddenly stopped playing DVDs.
    Device Manager gives the '!' in a yellow circle for "H + H DVD-ROM DVD-41SD SCSI CdRom Device" x3 and HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4320B.
    When I troubleshoot it tells me to uninstall and then Add New Hardware. I've tried this several times but each time I get this message:
    "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"
    I saw an old thread in which someone was able to fix a similar problem by creating a text file to fix the CD Registry. Might this work for me?
    Please help...

2. Megabite

Megabite

Is this just a DVD player or do CDs work in that Drive?

3. BigDocH

BigDocH Thread Starter

The drive is supposed to play DVDs and CDs, but I've just checked and it isn't playing CDs either.

4. Rick_in_Fla

Rick_in_Fla

Replace it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917653

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice