1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC just wont reach windows!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Death, Jan 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Death

Death Thread Starter

when i turn on the pc, the fans all start running and there is hardisk activity, but most of time no screen comes on. even when the screen does come on, it will get stuck at the 'welcome' screen just before entering windows (although there is still hardisk activity). what is wrong here?

here are my com's specs:

duron 700
    abit kt7 raid
    128mb pc133
    4.3Gb seagate medalist
    24x cdrom
    hercules tnt2 m64 32mb
    realtek 10/100 ethernet
    windows xp professional

2. ratchet

ratchet

Hi DEATH,
    Welcome to TSG.
    Not a good way to start but I have a couple of questions.
    Have you done any upgrades, been inside?
    Does your bios beep before windows attempts to load?
    Does your system do a memory test at boot, is it accurate?
    check back later.

3. Death

Death Thread Starter

well, the hardisk was from another computer and i didn't format it.
    there is no beep, even if there's a screen.
    and yes, the memory test is accurate.

4. brianF

brianF

It doesn't like the drivers installed by the other machine, try this

First boot into SafeMode. To get into SafeMode, restart the PC. Now after the drives are recognized
    on the screen but before the W98 splash screen, start tapping the F8 key. You should get the
    startup menu with 6 options. Take the option for SafeMode. Now click on
    Start>Settings>CP>System>DeviceManager. Scroll down and click on the "+" next to
    "SystemDevices". Now remove them all and reboot. Also, if you had any onboard devices like
    sound, video or a modem with the prior MB, be sure they are removed, too. And also remove any
    "old" devices you might still see listed in DeviceManager.

Now click on Start>Shutdown>Restart and let Windows boot into Normal mode and reinstall the
    devices. Have your CD for the motherboard and the W98 CD available in case your prompted for
    them by W98.

5. sdh31873

sdh31873

I will not be much help because mine is doing the exact same thing. I have built my computer from scratch except for two things that I switched over. One is my 56K modem and the other is my 12Gig Quantum hard drive. I have since formatted the old hard drive since I got a WD 40 gig hard drive also.

I have an Intel motherboard with a 1.8ghz, Pentium 4 processor and I am running Windows XP Professional as well. I get stuck at the Welcome screen but mine beeps one time at the welcome screen and doesn't go any further. Sometimes if I hit Ctrl-Alt-Del, it will let me in and give me an error about a missing "paging file" or something. I don't quiet understand any of it though. It tells me how to go fix it and I do but whenever I restart, it does the same thing.

I also have the lockup when I try to shut-down or go to 'stand-by' mode. It does the same thing every time. I have posted a message under software-Operating Systems but I have had no replys yet.

If you get this fixed before I do, please let me know what you did. My email is [email protected]. I would love to get mine fixed as well. I am going to try to reload windows xp professional first and see if that helps. Please keep me informed and I will do the same for you. Thanks and sorry I am not help but I am glad that I found someone with the same problem so I know it isn't just me. Thanks.

P.S. What kind of graphics card, keyboard, mouse, antivirus, and ram do you have? I am just curious as to if ours is the same. We may can narrow it down this way. Thanks.

6. Chris A

Chris A

sdh31873, Yours might be a memory problem. Beep codes

7. Matrikx_

Matrikx_

Have you tried going in through Safe Mode? Doing so will limit the amount of drivers used to the minimum needed... then go into device manager and see if you have any conflicts there. Good Luck

8. fireboy69

fireboy69

Death,

Just a suggestion, but I've had trouble with a few of the Realtek cards. I have one in my own system, and it works great, but I have set up a few others for friends and ran into massive headaches. Do as Brian says, and remove all the drivers and try again, but if that doesn't work, physically remove the network card, reboot, and see what happens.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66588

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice