1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC keeps "blinking" when I try to power on. Doesn't boot up.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Key_Notes88, Nov 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Key_Notes88

Key_Notes88 Thread Starter

Hey all, I'm new to Techguy forums and new to building/fixing my own pc. Let me start by labeling my parts (nothing overclocked).

CPU - Intel Core i7-930 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core
    Graphic Cards - (2x-SLI) MSI 470GTX 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI
    Board - EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
    Case - COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC
    HardDrive - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
    PSU - SPARKLE Gold Class GW-EPS1250DA 1250W ATX12V / EPS12V
    RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)

Oh the history I've had with this machine. I bought all these parts new back in August of 2010. To start off I've RMA'd both video cards, one back in September of 2010 and the other I had to RMA last month. I had to RMA them because no video was showing on the monitor whenever the computer booted up. Since I got the secondary card back last month, I really haven't experienced much of that problem (fingers crossed).

As of yesterday, however (11/12/11), my computer doesn't boot up. It constantly blinks in a continuous cycle now. I've had this problem happen before in past, THREE times. Each time I figured it was the motherboard and I would RMA it. After each motherboard replacement, my PC would work for 2 or 3 months and it would happen again, a continuous blink cycle (sorry I can't be more descriptive), so I've literally had 3 motherboards since August of 2010.

As of yesterday, this would make a fourth, but I'm starting to think that it's not the motherboard. I highly doubt it's the RAM because when it happened to the first two boards I had different RAM on the motherboard. I feel it's either the case shortening the board or the PSU. I looked up some info on Cooler Master cases and found that hooking up the front panel ports to the board could cause issues. So I didn't hook up anything on the front panel except the power, reset, and hd_led. However I'm still having the blink problem. Unhooked those, still happening. Can anyone help me figure this out???

Any help is HIGHLY appreciated. This couldn't have come at a more inopportune time...I JUST bought Skyrim!!!

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

My initial thought is that you are running a power hungry system on a cheap, low quality PSU. You say you have replaced both graphics cards and the motherboard multiple times and the same fault keeps occuring, this would indicate to me that the components you are changing a symptom of the problem not the cause.

I would start buy going back to basics and strip the system down to bare minimum and do an out of case test. Work through the 'problem build guide' sticky here.

If you have a digital voltmeter, it might be worth checking all the outputs on the PSU if you are happy doing that yourself.

3. Key_Notes88

Thanks for your input. I figured it to be the PSU too. I was already looking into replacing it, but I'm not sure which would be best for my parts. Do you have any recommendations?

4. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Is this your PSU?

http://www.sparkle-usa.com/products_graphic_04.asp?cate=32&seq=112

It has lots of +12v rails at 20A each (which isn't great per rail). This invariably leads to wasted power, for example if one GPU needs 18A (for example) it would use one rail to do that, the other 2A would be wasted and unuseable, the more this happens the more power is wasted. I prefer less rails with higher Amp per rail.

To buy a good quality PSU is going to cost, a 850w/950w Corsair PSU will set you back over 100USD.
    I use here to help calculate the PSU I need. Doing a rough calc on your system specs I would say a good quality 850+w unit should run that, but you need +12v rails with good amps, Corsair are commonly 75-80amp on a single +12v rail.

Makes I prefer are Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling and OCZ.

According to this thread, the requirements for the GTX470 is 38amps on the +12v rail, this is probably the maximum draw.

All your +12v rails have a maximum output of 20amps. I am not a skilled PSU veteran so don't quote me here, but I believe you need enough power on 1 rail for the card, it can't draw power from more than one rail. This means that your GPU(s) are probably over stressing the PSU, which in turn will damage it, reduce its lifespan and increase the chance of it failing and/or damage to other components.

5. Key_Notes88

6. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    With my limited experience and knowledge of you exact system, I would say that could work OK. It has good amps on the +12v rail.

I would suggest going to the PSU calc I linked previously and put as much info in about your system as you can (you know alot more about whats in it and attached to it than I do) :). Also, at the end of the list set the capacitor ageing to 10%.

Let it calculate a PSU wattage, it will display a minimum and recommended at the top right. What I usually then do is look at recommended wattage, divide that by 70 then multiply by 100. This will give you a wattage figure that ensures that your system, even when under load, should only be drawing around 70% of its PSUs maximum capability. This is a good figure to go for as less strain = longer life and more stable output. Obviously this will bump up your required wattage a fair bit which inturn will bump up the price.

When I said about 850/950w PSU in my last post I had been on that sight, put in the details I knew from your post and then made a few assumptions (DVD RW, 2x 120mm fans, 3x USB devices) then did the calculation from the minimum wattage it gave me. The answer I came up with was just over 850w, so if I had those parts I would be looking at an absolute minimum of 850w. As a reference point, I am using a 850w OCZ unit in my PC which is only running a single GTX460, probably a little overkill but it gives me room for expansion.

7. Key_Notes88

Thx for the help, swapping out the PSU seemed to get the computer going again...hopefully it stays that way.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026793

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice