1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC keeps crashing after 1903 Update

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Gemini43, Jun 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gemini43

Gemini43 Thread Starter

My PC is less than three years old, yet ever since the 1903 update, it keeps crashing for no apparent reason. This seems to happen whenever I am streaming content from BBC Sounds. The screen just shuts down and a a few second later the whole thing shuts down. Obviously if I happen to be recording anything with Audacity, the whole recording is ruined! I have tried not to be doing anything else at the same time, but this morning, I was just making a recording of a BBC Play on Catchup; nothing else at all, and the PC crashed yet again!

Has anyone else encountered this problem after the update? Or could it be just a coincidence and this is caused by something else?

Thanks in anticipation.

Gemma

2. Jayrou

Jayrou

First Name:
    James
    Hi Gemma

The only issue Ive seen is with 1903 is with Realtek Audio drivers, no crashing but serious lagging, would your PC happen to use Realtek Audio?

Steps I would take to try to resolve, and I'm presuming BBC Sounds is accessed via the web browser.

3. Gemini43

Gemini43 Thread Starter

Thanks for replying Jayrou.

Yes, my audio is Realtek, but as I said, my computer is less than three years old, so I don't want to think it's the driver yet and I've set all my browsers to clear the cache, cookies and history every time I close them.

In the meantime, I have changed my settings a bit:
    Turned off Link State Power Management, changed the plan settings to High Performance & disabled fast startup.

Whether all this will make any difference, only time will tell. If it doesn't, I'll run the System File Checker. Then I'll see about updating the Realtek driver if that doesn't work. I have heard that updating drivers can sometimes backfire, so I don't want to do that unless it's as a last resort. :(

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

I think there is a feature to rollback a driver when it doesn't work

SFC only checks for corruptions of system files. I don't think it will help here.

5. Jayrou

Jayrou

First Name:
    James
    Have a look at the reliability monitor in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Security and Maintenance\Reliability Monitor, it will give you an idea of the critical events that have occurred and the faulting application over a period of time, it will show windows failures and warnings. and under the action section will give you an idea of what may be causing it.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  6. Gemini43

Gemini43 Thread Starter

Thanks Jayru. Just did that and when I clicked on the red x's (right at the end on the far right) they all read:
    "A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly."
    And, the very last one said that Windows was not properly shut down. Which of course, was because I had no other way of closing down other than to press the Off button on the case and then restart it!

Anyway - touch wood - I've not had any problems since, but I'm going to use Internet Explorer instead of Firefox for streaming stuff in future. It may be a coincidence, but it's always when I'm using Firefox that this crash occurs and never with IE. I like Firefox's extra security features for everything else, but I do tend to have crash problems when streaming with it; particularly when I'm doing this for long periods.

Incidentally, I thought that the Windows Updates automatically update all your software and drivers along with with their own. Wouldn't they update the Realtek driver as well?

7. Jayrou

Jayrou

First Name:
    James
    OK Fingers crossed :) - Yes always good to try different browser, I find Chrome the most reliable out of them all to be honest but having a few at your finger tips always helps. We've had issues with IE / Adobe and viewing PDFs in the browser. No problems with Chrome or Firefox though.

Regarding your last question, it would depend on your Update settings whether you choose to get updates for non Microsoft hardware, Microsoft tend to not necessarily have the latest drivers though, the amount of times Ive had "Windows has determined the best driver for your device are already installed" when trying to update via Windows update only to find newer ones on the manufacturer website.

Hope all stays well for you.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1229109

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice