1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC keeps crashing after a while

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by NicolaZ, Feb 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NicolaZ

NicolaZ Thread Starter

my pc started giving me the BSOD recently and after it gave it to me it keept doing it i had formated the hard drive where the OS was and reinstalled a couple of times, i also had tried different ram cards, video cards, disconnectinc hardrives and cd drive, the only thing up to do is to change the motherboard and cpu, i would like to know if anyone had an idea if one of those or anything else could be the problem, the technical information of the blue screen reads:
    *** STOP: 0x0000007f (0x00000008,0x807c570,0x00000000,0x00000000)

i thank in advance for any information i could receive.

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

Please follow this small guide to attach your minidump files so they can be analysed.

First locate your minidump files, open Windows Explorer and click on the C: drive in the left pane, in the right pane look down the list of folders and double click on Windows to view its contents. NOTE: If your operating system is installed under a different drive letter then look there. Scroll down the contents of the Windows folder and look for a folder called minidump and double click on it. You should now see the minidump files which will have a .dmp extension.

Zip up at least 6 of the most recent files into one zip folder (if there are less then just zip up what you have).

NOTE: To zip up the files in Windows (all versions). Right click the file, click on Send To, and then click
    Compressed (zipped) Folder. That will create a zip folder containing a copy of the file, you should see it appear.

If there is more than one .dmp file click on the first one, hold down the shift key and then click on the last one. That should highlight all the files. Then right click in the highlighted area, click on Send To, and then click Compressed (zipped) Folder.

• Below the Message Box click on Go Advanced. Then scroll down until you see a button, Manage Attachments. Click on that and a new window opens.
    • Click on the Browse button, find the zip folder you made earlier and click on it so it becomes highlighted and click on Open.
    • Now click on the Upload button. Wait for the Upload to complete, it will appear just below the Browse box.
    • When done, click on the Close this window button at the top of the page.
    • Enter your message-text in the message box, then click on Submit Message/Reply.

3. NicolaZ

NicolaZ Thread Starter

there were only 2 minidumps, but the pc has certainly crashed more than that.

Attached Files:

4. Mark1956

Mark1956

Unfortunately neither of the crash dumps point to a specific issue so we are none the wiser. Both of the crashes are recorded as being on 16th Feb just before 5am. If any more occur please post them.

Did the BSOD's start to occur before you reinstalled Windows?

5. NicolaZ

NicolaZ Thread Starter

the pc doesnt seem to be creating new minidumps, and yes, the bsod started before the install of windows, im in the proccess to move everything to one hdd and format the other one, use that to discard any viruses, since i just formated the partition with the OS, at this point the only things that i havent tried are the hdd's themselves, motherboard and cpu.

I have one question, can peripherals like the speakers, keyboard and mouse be the ones giving me a BSOD? because thats the other things i havent tried unplugging/changing.

6. Mark1956

Mark1956

Taking into account that you reinstalled the OS and the BSOD's continued then it is most likely to be a hardware fault and that could be any item of hardware. USB devices are the least likely.

These are the errors that were in the Crash Dumps, as you can see there are a lot of possible causes.

Error code 18 Usual causes: Device driver, kernel, hardware

Error code 7F Usual causes: Memory corruption, Hardware (memory in particular), Overclocking failure, Installing a faulty or mismatched hardware (especially memory) or a failure after installing it, 3rd party firewall, Device drivers, SCSI/network/BIOS updates needed, Improperly seated cards, Incompatible storage devices, Overclocking, Virus scanner, Backup tool, Bad motherboard, Missing Service Pack

I know you have tried other RAM sticks but have you tested any of them? Are they all compatible with your system and are you using matched sticks, have you tried running the system with just one stick inserted?

You can test the hard drives using Seatools.

Open Internet Explorer and click on this: Seatools

Save the download to your desktop.

In Windows 7 right click the ISO file, select Open With, then select Windows Disc Image Burning Tool then follow the prompts.
    For all other versions of windows (if you do not have an ISO burner) download this free software. ImgBurn Install the program and start the application. Select the top left hand option to Write image file to disc and then on the next window click on the small yellow folder icon and browse to the ISO file on your desktop. Then click on the two grey discs with the arrow in between (bottom left) and leave it to complete the operation.

You will need a blank recordable CD or a re-recordable CD. You cannot use this software on a USB flash drive.

When the CD has been burned boot the PC into the Bios setup and set the CD/DVD drive to 1st in the boot sequence. Insert the disk in the drive then reboot and the disc will load into DOS. Click on Basic Tests and select the Long Test.

A full set of instructions can be found here: Seatools instructions

When the test completes it will show a Pass or Fail.

7. NicolaZ

NicolaZ Thread Starter

thanks for the reply, about the ram i had tried with just one inserted, and both of them crashed, at the moment its hard to do the seatools test since my burner is in a bad state and dont recongnize CD's, and has trouble with DVD, i have noticed that before failing i usually hear the sound of the PC fans, wich make me think that would be the issue, i downloaded a program called speedfan and it shows everything in a very hot temp, ill attach an image, what drives me to think that its that actuallly im running the pc with just windows and bare essential programs, and the crashes had really diminished.

Attached Files:

8. Mark1956

Mark1956

If you are hearing the fans speed up just before the crash that would be good evidence it is due to overheating, have you ever cleaned out the CPU cooler and replaced the thermal paste?

The temps on the attachment for the CPU look quite high considering it is only showing CPU usage at about 4% it should be nearer to 30 than 50, the GPU also looks a bit high if the system was completely idle. The AUX temp can be ignored as it is probably a false reading. The 12V reading is a bit low but that could be due to a poor sensor, check the voltages in the Bios, if they also show a low 12V reading you should have the PSU tested with a voltmeter.

I would suggest you do some cleaning and replace the thermal paste, don't use a vacuum cleaner, use a can of compressed air and I would recommend Arctic Silver thermal paste. If you need more guidance please ask.

9. NicolaZ

NicolaZ Thread Starter

indeed the thermal paste was worn out and most of it pasted to the fan, so im certainly doing that replacement, in the bios there were the following readings +5vin=5.1150, +12vin=12.0220, +1.25vin=1.2672, not sure if these were the ones, ill inform about any results i get after aplying the paste, and either way, thank you mark for the support so far.

10. Mark1956

Mark1956

You're welcome and those voltage readings look good.

11. NicolaZ

NicolaZ Thread Starter

the change in temps what quite a lot after applying the paste, cpu oscilates around 40 and the cores around 36, and ti be hinest the picture i posted was on the low wnds, temps would get up to 80 at some point, i think this could had been the cause, ill have to wait to be sure, but i just want to ask another question, speedfan still shows the other temps high; gpu, system, aux and tamp temp(about the same as the attached picture), should i be worried about those too?

12. Mark1956

Mark1956

As I said before the Aux temp can be ignored, it is most likely a false reading. The CPU temps sound far better and I would be fairly confident that the CPU overheating was the cause of your problem.

The GPU does normally run a bit higher than the CPU, but I would check the cooler and fan using a can of compressed air to blow out any dust.

The other readings could easily be incorrect as with any temp sensing software they make mistakes just like this one did with your 12V reading. As long as the inside of your PC and any fans are free of dust and you haven't set Speedfan to slow down anything you should be good to go.

13. NicolaZ

NicolaZ Thread Starter

well i did an extensive cleaning, and the temperature readings went down except system and aux, but unfortunately i tried to put the pc to no reset after error, but after the bsod, with the same code i put in my first post, my pc wouldnt even show the bios, does this point the motherboard as the faulty component?

14. Mark1956

Mark1956

I just need to clarify what you have posted as I am not 100% clear on what you have said.

Are you saying you have had another BSOD and now the PC will not let you into the BIOS settings?

Does it still boot into Windows?

15. NicolaZ

NicolaZ Thread Starter

no, it doesnt boot anythin, what i meant its that it doesn't show the screen of "press (x) to acces bios", i would had been suspicious that i had done something that screwed the pc internally, but i got the same error code as always, wich makes me think its the error and my mistakes was stopping the pc from reset, since it said it restarts to prevent damage to the system, the last thing im going to try its changin the cmos battery though im almost sure thats not going to change anything.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089732

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice