1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC Keeps Randomly Disconnecting from Internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jj7371, Dec 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jj7371

jj7371 Thread Starter

I have a Windows 10 PC with an external adaptor to connect to the Wifi. Recently, when online (mostly on Internet Explorer), it will randomly stop working and display a 'can't connect to page' screen when I try to refresh. When I try to use the diagnostics tool, sometimes it can repair it (the error message is 'cannot access default gateway') but most of the time it can't fix it (the error message is 'cannot automatically detect this networks proxy settings'). I can normally fix this myself by disconnecting and reconnecting to the Wifi, but this keeps happening again and again, usually when I try to stream video. Also, sometimes when I try to reconnect, it asks me to re-enter the security key, saying that the information has changed, despite the fact it hasn't. My other devices (phone and tablet) don't seem to have these problems when using the same Wifi.

Any help advice/would be appreciated and if any more technical info is needed please let me know.

2. jj7371

jj7371 Thread Starter

3. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

WiFi is not reliable. Too much interference.

Does the same problem occur when connected with Ethernet?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It is just plain wrong to say "too much interference" when you have no idea if there is even a tiny bit.

Interference is indeed a possibility, but with the symptoms given no more likely than incorrect driver, defective adapter or weak signal.

5. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Okay then, how about "too much interference is possible".

Wikipedia: WiFi > Interference
    Even bad electrical connections can cause broad RF spectrum emissions.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yep. For sure! :)

SpywareDr likes this.
  7. jj7371

jj7371 Thread Starter

I have a PC downstairs which is connected with ethernet, which works fine. I have problems with the internet on the upstairs one, even when I'm not using other devices. The only other devices using wifi are 2 tablets and 2 phones. This problem only started a couple of months ago, the upstairs PC had no problems using wifi before then.
    Also, the error messages changed recently. Now it's mostly 'default gateway is not available'. Occasionally it's 'doesn't have valid IP configuration' or 'investigate router or broadband modem issues'.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    So, it seems that you are not interested in starting troubleshooting by determining whether you are dealing with a wireless issue or a more general problem, and want to assume a wireless problem.

What is the brand and model of the wireless adapter?

Is the installed driver the latest from the manufacturer's web site (not whatever Windows decided to install)?

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with a screen shot see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows Vista or latter I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1220405

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice