1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC keeps rebooting

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by shortnpretty, Sep 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shortnpretty

shortnpretty Thread Starter

Okay....here is my problem. I have Windows XP Home Edition, 1400 mghz, GeForce4 grahics card, AMD 7DX processor board. The other day I posted in the security forum stating that I thought I was having a conflict problem with my Zone Alarm and McAfee Antivirus programs. I uninstalled the ZA and the computer didn't automatically restart anymore. Until, the other day. I was online when I saw that my graphics started getting a bit screwy. There were little bitty blank squares showing on my screen and in just a few seconds the whole screen was full of these square-like, blank spots all over my picture. Then the computer popped up a box that stated the system had a device failure. :( It stated that I needed to restart (keep in mind, I had to read the error box around the blank squares), in order for Windows to to fix the problem. When I tried to reboot, the computer consistently would restart, over and over. I've tried to start in safe mode to no avail. As I've been trying to trouble shoot, the following is the steps the computer takes within the restarting cycles.

The GForce graphic identity screen comes up. Then the Bios ID with the check system health=ok comes up. Then the memory test starts=ok. Then the computer goes into the device driver check.

Next the MS Win XP Logo comes on with the green loading signal. Then it goes on to the scan disk. When the system scans disk and starts to load the MS Windows XP Screen, it reboots again. This happens, over and over and over, in the above succession.

When I try booting to safe mode, it either resets again, similar to above, or it freezes after loading several lines with ...

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\...

The last entry being...

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\amdagp.sys

no power to the keyboard at that point and I have to turn computer off cold.

Any ideas and help will be appreciated.

Tonya

2. mobo

mobo

Have you removed the video card and replaced it or switched to onboard video ?

3. shortnpretty

Thanks for responding MB. No I have not. We are fixing to go eat and I shall try taking out the graphics cards and putting it back in to see if that helps when we get back.

I do not have another graphics card to replace it with. I am not computer savey really, I know just enough to be dangerous and only from little experience. I'm not sure what you mean by onboard graphics. My card is separate from the motherboard, if that is what you mean by onboard. My graphics card is fairly new, I got it right before last christmas. I know that when I replaced it, without the card I have no graphics.

4. mobo

mobo

So you probably have no onboard..This may make things hard as it sounds as if the card is gone.

5. shortnpretty

Gosh.....thats sad because I just bought this PNY GeForce 4 TI4200, 64 DDR card less than a year ago. :mad: Is that normal? If I remember right, the graphics card in the computer I replaced with the GeForce 4 wasn't very old either!! :confused:

I live in the sticks MB and am an hour away from any town that would have a computer part store. It will have to wait until tomorrow. I'll go to Computer City and purchase a new card I guess and try it out. If it works then, yup thats it. If not we'll go from there. I suppose this is good news because I was kinna thinking maybe it was something on my motherboard or maybe windows xp itself......whew. But, like I say, I don't know computers very well and what I do know only makes me dangerous.....hehehehe.

6. mobo

mobo

Well it all seems to ppont in that direction as the warning for failing hardware were present as well as distorted video. You could open the case remove the card , blow any dust from the case as well as the video slot then reseat the card and try it before running off to the store..

7. keebs

keebs

just try to delete the drivers and download the new drivers from www.nvidia.com and also open up your computer and see if you can press in the video card it might be a lil bit loose if you have any questions email me at [email protected]

8. mobo

mobo

How would you delete the drivers when you cannot log on ?

9. keebs

keebs

how is he typing the forum??

10. mobo

mobo

How do you think or did you read the post ?

11. mobo

mobo

12. keebs

keebs

its not about me its about him hes on his computer now look up on the first forum =]

13. cornputer

cornputer

ive had that problem before on my amd athlon 1000, on gigabyte ga 7va. the only thing i could do was use a xp boot floppy and format c: and reinstall. everything works fine after that....

ive also heard some other people with totally different setups get that error and the only thing in common was amd proccessor. i dun know any way it could be related but when its computers u never know...

14. shortnpretty

I'm using a friend's laptop.

I just recently upgraded the video card because it was rebooting every so often. I posted it earlier this month and it was recommended that I update the detonator due to the new XP 9x update. They were apparently incompatible at that point.

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?postid=1058560#post1058560

I did try dusting the cache, card, etc. But I have tried taking it out and putting it back in again to see if maybe its loose or dusty in the slots, etc.

15. shortnpretty

Motherboard......or anyone else who can help me.

I've been working on this problem again. :mad:

Since the computer keeps hanging at amdagp.sys, I did a google search and found this link...

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/...umId=2&admit=716493758+1064680503981+28353475

Do you suppose this could be my problem. I remember that when the computer went down the last time it was working right, the warning error that came up regarding restarting my computer, it stated that a device driver failed. :confused:

I keep trying to boot in safe mode. I finally made it to where xp gives options for a particular desktop. All choices were administrators, but in just a few seconds it rebooted again. Should I just keep trying to boot into safe mode or is there a simpler way to do this?????

I'm getting so freaking frustrated. :(

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167714

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice