1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pc Keeps Rebooting

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by applecrumble, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. applecrumble

applecrumble Thread Starter

I would be grateful if someone could help.
    A popup about spyware appeared on my friends PC and he downloaded the software.Since then when he starts his PC it gets to the desktop screen then reboots and keeps doing this.I have tried the win XP recovery console disk but it says his password is invalid but he assures me that the password is correct. I have tried safemode but all I get is a series of lines saying multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32 etc, all down the screen.I have now put his hard drive as a slave on a spare PC that I have with win XP.I am trying to copy some of his important files to my hard drive but when I open any files on his it runs extremely slow.
    This spare computer that I have is not connected to the internet and has no antispyware or antivirus.
    My question is can I download programs like hijack this and spybot onto my flash drive and run it on this computer? If so can I get these programs to check the slave hard drive?
    Any ideas on what I should do would be most appreciated.

Wilf

2. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

I would not try to open his files on your computer. Simply save them and then put his drive back in his machine and format/reload the operating system. Get some anti-virus software installed and then copy his files back to his machine.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699947

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice