1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC keeps turning itself off

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Joey86, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joey86

Joey86 Thread Starter

For the years my computer has been turning itself off without warning, it used to occur once in every few weeks which i could deal with (usually when i had more than 5/6 prgrams running at once). However it gradually became more frequent and now ive got to a stage where i cant even run a spyware/virus check without it turning itself off

Now im 90% sure its to do with the memmory and not a over-heating or powersupply issue, i was advised to download a memory test utility from memtest.org but when i run the DOS version a DOS command prompt screens appears for only a few seconds then nothing happens

Ive also looked into my event viewer log after ive restarted and no errors appear on there, other then "The AVG7 Update Service service terminated unexpectedly"

Any ideas?

2. helpmerick

helpmerick

If you are sure that your problem is not heat related, then it definitely could be either a RAM or motherboard problem. Try downloading and creating a diagnostic CD from http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

When you boot with it, there are at least four or five good RAM testers and I think it also has some CPU testers as well. If none of the tests yield any good results, you might want to take it into a local computer shop (NOT GEEK SQUAD) and have them run some of their diagnostics on it.

Good luck.

3. new tech guy

new tech guy

Now i know you have stated it is probably not heat but it sounds alot like heat to be honest. So why not take a look under the hood to confirm this. For instance you could clean the internals of the machine with compressed air, make sure all fans/cooling apparatuses are working properly. In not then it is most likely the problem however, i think it could just be dust crowding up the vents in the machine.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!