1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC Keeps Turning off

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by navido1, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. navido1

navido1 Thread Starter

Hi

I have recently purchased a new motherboard\cpu\ram & Hdd to upgrade my existing desktop computer. I have kept my exisiting PSU & AGP Card.

The system will bootup and allow start off the windows installtion but would then turn off after a few minutes. I then have to remove power cable and reconnect to get it to bootup again.

I can enter the BIOS setup without any pobs and it doesnt turn off whilst i in the BIOS setup but when i exit, instead of restarting the system goes off again. Sometimes i have to remove power cable for several minutes before reconnecting because if i reconnect straight away the machine will power on but the fan on the ATI X1950 Pro AGP card spins on full and there is no display on monitor. CPU fan and case fan also come on.

When i am able to boot into the windows setup the machine does POST but then goes off again around the same point of the windows installtion.

I have tried another AGP graphics card, memory modules but still have the same issue.

Does anyone have any suggestion on what the problem could be?

2. thebrownone

thebrownone

Have you checked your motherboard for blown capacitors? Also a different power supply may help.

3. navido1

navido1 Thread Starter

The power supply is quite new and has been working fine with my older motherboard.

I cant see any blown capacitors or any sort of damage to the motherboard. Its brand new.

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Did you put the CPU Heatsink and fan on correctly?
    Did you use thermal paste between the heatsink and cpu?
    Do you have the cpu fan plugged in to the correct power connector on the motherboard?
    Does the bios show you the temperature of the CPU? Although it shouldn't heat up too much just being in the bios. Once the cpu has to start doing some heavy processing it will heat up fast. So if any of the above it true, it will hit its fail safe and shutdown to protect the cpu from over heating.

5. navido1

navido1 Thread Starter

I have used the fan and heatsink that came with the cpu that already had the thermal paste on.

I have checked the temp in BIOS and the cpu is around 31c and motherboard 26c.

One thing i have noticed is that if i have the Radeon X1950 Pro card installed i have to wait a lot longer before i can power the pc back on. I also have a Radeon 9700 pro, which is less power hungry and although the system still turns off after a few minutes i only need to turn the rocker switch off for a few seconds on the PSU before i can reboot again. This may mean nothing but just though i'd mention it.

I think it is most likely the motherboard or cpu that is at fault but i dont know how to find out for sure.

6. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

From your description my guess the power supply may not be adequate to power the new motherboard & CPU. Can you provide manufacturer and model numbers for the PSU, CPU and motherboard?

7. navido1

navido1 Thread Starter

I am using:

Hiper TypeR 580W Modular PSU
    Asrock 4CoreDual Sata II Rev2.0 Motherboard
    Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 2.53Ghz CPU
    Corsair 2GB DDR2 PC5300 RAM

Cheers

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752891

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice