PC like dead..only black screen (Windows Problem Reporting)

Garken

Well, my PC was slow so a friend said to check for updates. And I always noticed in Task Manager that disk is almost always above 90%. Also, it showed that Malwarebytes (antivirus) is having a high percentage. Anyway, I closed all programs and decided to restart and it gave this screen of something like "Working on windows, don't turn off your computer". Then it showed the update percentage, then all was done and the PC restarted so that it works normally again.

Then it asked me to enter the password -since I have one- and as I entered it and clicked okay, the screen is only black, and there is the mouse showing with this 'loading' symbol blinking next to it; as in something is loading or being processed. But this never stops..just a blank screen with this mouse. Nothing ever shows except the background at the first few seconds of login. Nothing else is displayed..start bar doesn't show, icons don't show..nothing shows. The only thing I managed to get is Task Manager. There I could see something new which is (Windows Problem Reporting) and it also is showing and going in the Process bar.

Let me state what suspicious things that may contribute:
1- I downloaded some torrents and excluded them partially from detections to get to download a software. They are only excluded from scanning as generally suspicious files or random unwanted files or something in this description, as Malwarebytes states.
2- Before I restarted my PC, I opened Task Manager and selected Registry, and clicked End Task. The reason was because I found that it consumed a lot of disk percentage. I don't remember if it went with that or not. but it seems it asked for confirmation and I did not accept. But I don't exactly remember if it stopped or not.

Anyway, in case the problem is not easily solved, are there ways to get access to all information in my device and download it on an external disk ?

I have almost everything on C-drive and Desktop; where Desktop is in C-Drive.

Just a point that I don't know if it is worth mentioning or not, I tried to End Task for Malwarebytes with this blinking / semi-dead state, but it said that "This operation cannot be done" and below it: "Access is denied". Or would that be normal since the whole state of PC is crazy already.

Windows 10 (OS)

What to do ?

It generally known that torrent files harbor a lot of malware. Hackers seed these files to make them look popular, tempting people to download them.

Killing the Registry task could have caused corruption of the registry. And because the registry is the center of all things Windows, this could have numerous bad things happen.

To access the files on the hard disk, download a Linux Live CD. Boot with it and don't install, just run the Live version. Then you can access the hard drive and copy off important files to a USB memory stick.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
To add to this, if the data is too much for the USB drive, you can add your drive to an external USB adapter and plug it into another computer to transfer temporarily.

Garken

First of all, thank you two very much !!

Well, I have succesfully moved the information to an external source.

I also managed to do the Reset with 'Keep my files'. Yet, the system is still not fully normal.

For example, Task Manager does not show anything in it. And by simple search, it means there are problems with the registry.

Should I just go for a factory reset..or could there be chances to repair registry using other ways ?

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I suspect what ever you had prior to the reset stayed around. You should really only do a clean install of Windows to ensure that you are starting fresh without bugs. Since you have backed up your data, I would suggest that.

You will need an USB drive to complete the task, one preferably that has nothing on it as it would get wiped to install the Windows Setup files.
Doing a Completely Clean Reinstall of Windows 10

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online