1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC locked by police notice

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Mick Parry, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mick Parry

Mick Parry Thread Starter

Hi

I have Windows 7 IE 9 and run security checks/updates every day.

My pc was locked by a police notice demanding £100.00 to free it up. I know this is a con, so I restarted the pc in safe mode and restored the pc to a couple of days earlier.

I then ran a scan using Malwarebytes and finally scanned with Microsoft Security Essentials.

The PC now appears to be fine.

I am concerned that Microsoft Security Essentials did not prevent the infection. Was I just unlucky, or should I change to another security system such as Avast.

I have Windows 7 IE 9 and run security checks/updates every day.

Regards

Mick

2. Mick Parry

Mick Parry Thread Starter

Hi

I am bumping this one up as I have not had a reply even after 5 days.

I have now been infected 3 times in 9 months by this police notice bug and fortunately I managed to get rid of it every time.

However all I am asking is - how does it get through MSE and am I better off changing to another anti virus programme.

Regards

Mick

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085819

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice