PC locks up when CDRom used

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

celtic

Hi,
When I insert a games CDRom into my player my computer just locks up and I have to reset each time.
No keys or mouse work.
Installing software from CDRom is fine - just a problem with games.
All hardware is brand new in last few days.

Windows XP Professional
Pentium 4 3.0GHz
512 Mb Ram
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120Gb 7200rpm
Saphire Radeon 7500
Creative Labs Audigy 2ZS Platinum Pro
MSI DVDRW
Samsung 52x CDRom

celtic

Should have mentioned that similar happens with DVDRW. Game inserted and it will spin for about 10 secs, start playing and then Lock up.

celtic

Had a search through this forum, and found a thread with a similar story. Someone suggested "Try going into the control panel, system, device manager, and unchecking the box marked DMA in the properties area for the cdrom...." but my resources tab is not available, or even there!

celtic

Yes they original versions of children's games - Wildlife Park and Zoo Tycoon simulation games.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Can you turn off the auto run feature for a test?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Find the cdrom in my computer, right click on it, go to properties. There should be some options there for you.

celtic

Sorry I have not responded sooner - I have been away for a few weeks.
I disabled autorun and I can get a bit further with instalation of the games.
The installation process freezes at 1% each time. It freezes at the same installation file which is a .avi file. I do not know if this is relevant or not.
It isn't just this game cdrom that freezes though.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Is it a name branded computer? Are you running SP 2 on it yet?

celtic

No, it is a new computer that I put together myself, and no, I am not yet using SP2

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Well, I must say I'm stumped. I don't know why only game installs would lock the cdrom and not any software installation.

The only logical thing I can think of would be an IRQ conflict, but XP is supposed to handle IRQs better than 98, etc. Since the games probably use sound and video at the same time, that would be what I'd look for in 98 or ME, but as I said, on XP...... :confused:

celtic

Thanks for your suggestions so far anyway, and giving my problem some support.
I have tried emailing the software game company, but have had no response.

celtic

I'm back again - my problem is gettimg worse.
I have noticed that during boot up I get the following which may shed some light :-

Serial_CH0 Master : No Device
Serial_CH1 Master : No Device

Does this mean anything to anyone?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Looks like you have the capability of installing SATA drives, but you have none. If that is correct, you may be able to disable SATA from doing a bootup search in the bios setup.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts