1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC loses access to shares on domain after standby

Discussion in 'Networking' started by NetUseFail, Nov 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NetUseFail

NetUseFail Thread Starter

I have a laptop running XP SP3; I connect to a network at the office running a single SBS 2003 server. Recently, I began losing my access to network shares -- when I try to connect to a share like \\myServer\public, I get a message saying the share is "not accessible".

If I log off my machine and log back on, I can get access again.

Possibly related: now, when I log back on to my machine, there's a very long delay while it says "applying personal settings". That's new.

Any idea what would cause this?

Or any idea how I can reauthenticate on the network without logging out of windows completely?

2. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

go to the nics properties and power settings. Set to disabled [never shutdown/sleep]

3. NetUseFail

Hi Wanderer2,

Unfortunately, I need to be able to put my machine to sleep -- and even disconnect it from the network while it's asleep. I sometimes move around the office, so I'll undock it from one desk, put it to sleep, move it to another desk, and re-dock it.

4. valis

valis Moderator

well, that's sort of what's going to happen when you disconnect from the network; you need to re-authenticate to the server to get your network access back; it will keep your cached local profile, but it will not (or should not, if your network team is doing their job correctly) reconnect your mapped network drives after being pulled off of the network.

5. NetUseFail

Thanks, Valis. They're not actually mapped drives -- I'm just hitting Start->Run, and typing in \\myServer\myShare.

Is there any way to reauthenticate without quitting everything and logging out of windows?

6. valis

valis Moderator

well, the problem is that once you turn the machine off (sleep mode), you break the network connection. If you can ping it, just try flushing your dns and renewing it.

Is this a static network or do you guys run dhcp?

7. NetUseFail

It's DHCP. I can ping the server. I can even log into it with remote desktop. But I can't access file shares until I log out and log back in.

8. valis

valis Moderator

if you can ping the server, try running ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew when you plug back in and see what happens.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/768137

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice