1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC loses HTTP access shortly after reboot

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TwoLenses, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TwoLenses

TwoLenses Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm desperately hoping that someone on this group can help me with a problem that I've been suffering with for a few months now!

My problem is this: my desktop PC (my main PC) loses HTTP (and therefore web) access 5 or 6 minutes after a reboot. (Both Firefox and Internet Explorer are affected.) I haven't found a way to regain HTTP access without rebooting the PC.

On further investigation, I discovered that only HTTP is affected. I can still download mail (whatever transport mail uses), I still have HTTPS access, and according to Network Diagnostics I still have FTP access.

I have even tried rebooting in "Safe Mode with Networking" to try to eliminate anything else that I had in autostart, but the symptoms stay the same.

My problem started after I accidentally installed a very old Beta version of Microsoft .NET Framework. I was unable to uninstall that, but I did eventually manage to "upgrade" it to the current version this weekend, but still the HTTP problem persists.

I have tried running the Network Diagnostic tool (for some reason it will only run now if I boot into "Safe Mode with Networking", because it has stopped recognising my Admin account as having Administrator privileges!). When I can get it to run, it reports:
    info Error attempting to validate the Winsock base providers: 2
    error Not all base service provider entries could be found in the winsock catalog. A reset is needed.
    ... and the Connectivity section confirms what I had found about still having HTTPS and FTP access but no HTTP access. [Sorry, this editor won't let me revert back to normal weight text!]

I did a "reset", but it made no difference.

I think the answer is probably "Reinstall Windows", but I can't find my installation disks now, not even the Slipstream CD that I remember creating a while back when I upgraded to SP2.

I have a laptop with web access (I'm using it to write this), but it's painfully slow because it's so old, and it uses weird memory which nobody sells now.

Before submitting this, I should maybe explain a bit about my current situation, as it has some bearing on my problems. Last Christmas I had a serious cycle accident, which put me in hospital for 10 weeks and has left me with memory and balance problems which are only slowly getting better.

Before the accident, I was reasonably proficient at dealing with problems like this (they were a challenge!), but not now. In fact, I am convinced it was the accident which led me to install that old Beta version of .NET Framework which caused all the problems.

My memory problems now mean that I have to have everything written down, and I write down everything that I try to fix problems like this so that I have something I can refer back to when I forget what I have done!

Since the accident, it seems that I can't do anything right, I can't even write this without everything appearing in bold text!

-Les.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd try a stack reset first.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2/SP3.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands:

Note: Type only the text in bold for the following commands.

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults, type: netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults, type: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reboot the machine.

If that doesn't work, try running SFC to replace any incorrect files: SFC Tutorial

3. TwoLenses

TwoLenses Thread Starter

Thanks for that JohnWill. I tried the two 'netsh' commands that you suggested, and for a while I thought that they had worked! I got HTML access for 7 minutes this time (an extra 60 seconds!), but then it died just like before.

I did look at the SFC Tutorial as well, but it looks like I will need the i386 directories from my installation CD for that to work, so I'm stuffed unless/until I can find my installation CD. I've been looking for that for weeks, I just have this uneasy feeling that I remember putting it in an unusual place and thinking "I hope I can find this when I need it"! But my firesafe seems the obvious place for things like that, and all that has in it are two backup CDs dated 2006! :-(

-Les.

4. JohnWill

Well, you're going to have to come up with the media I would imagine, not sure what to suggest if you can't.

5. TwoLenses

TwoLenses Thread Starter

Well, good news at last: I seem to have regained permanent Web access on my desktop PC again. At least, it's stayed active for the last 4 hours, which is 3.9 hours longer than it usually lasts!

I wasn't even trying to fix it at the time, I just happened to upgrade my Firewall software (ZoneAlarm Free) after I noticed that my laptop was running a much more recent version than my desktop PC.

I don't think that the old ZoneAlarm software was *causing* my problem on the desktop (everything was fine with it until I installed that old Beta .NET Framework software); but maybe *upgrading* ZoneAlarm had the side-effect of *repairing* something which installing the ancient .NET Framework Beta had broken. Who knows?

Anyway, I'll see if I also have working HTTP access from my non-Admin account tomorrow (I'm logged in as Admin just now). But things are definitely looking up, after about 6 months of struggling with this problem.

-Les.

6. JohnWill

Glad to hear it. Hopefully, you won't need that XP disk, but I'd be looking for it anyway. :D

7. TwoLenses

TwoLenses Thread Starter

Sadly, I seem to have made my PC even worse now!

On Monday, I thought that, since I now had a working Internet connection and my PC was online 24/7 for the first time since before Christmas '07, I really ought to do a Windows Update. But sadly my Internet connection dropped out half way through the process, and now I'm left with a PC that will only boot up in Safe Mode. Any other sort of boot just locks up the PC completely before the login process finishes. And "restore last working configuration" (or whatever it's called) doesn't make any difference.

I have found http://mypchell.com/content/view/59/32/ , which tells me I can download a Windows SP2 boot disk creator programme from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...07-99f7-4a2d-983d-81c2137ff464&DisplayLang=en , so my plan is to see if I can find my licence info from the desktop PC (booted in Safe Mode), and then to reinstall Windows from those boot disks.

But my worry now is whether that Microsoft link points to just a boot disk _creator_ programme, or actually to the contents of the boot disk itself. I'm unwilling to run it on this laptop in case it starts reinstalling Windows on the laptop, and thus might destroy the only PC I have left working! So I plan to copy it to my desktop PC (after I've found my licence details) and run it on there in Safe Mode, where it won't matter what it is.

As if I didn't have enough to worry about just now!

-Les.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752205

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice